Drinking chocolate

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

For those of you who like a cup of drinking chocolate, and noticing the high price of the Cadbury brand, I thought the following tip might be welcome. DC is 25% cocoa solids and 75% sugar. Buy a tin of plain cocoa (much cheaper) and mix with the required sugar. Allows you to adjust the sweetness to taste - I find one spoonful of cocoa to two of sugar is ample!
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Whilst still a sprog, what we called cocoa was actually drinking chocolate. Not many people know that ! ! ! Cheers, Tony.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've only tried drinking chocolate once and found it horribly sweet and sickly. We've always made cocoa - with a couple of spoons of powdered cocoa and sugar, blended with milk and then topped up with either hot milk or hot water and milk. You can have it as chocolatey or sweet, or milky as you want, and for much less than the horrible tinned stuff.
Colin_M
KG Regular

JohnN wrote:DC is 25% cocoa solids and 75% sugar.

Don't some varieties also contain some milk powder too? Mind you I like my DC sweet, so 75% sugar would suit me (and send me to a diabetic early grave :( )
Marigold
KG Regular

Colin_M wrote:
JohnN wrote:DC is 25% cocoa solids and 75% sugar.

Don't some varieties also contain some milk powder too? Mind you I like my DC sweet, so 75% sugar would suit me (and send me to a diabetic early grave :( )

LIDL have an instant dc. Useful for market days... It is mild stuff; comfort food..
kylie_k
KG Regular

I was in bratislava recently and in a cafe they gave us a hot chocolate that was just melted chocolate, tasted amazing but probably terrible for you. Like others here i'm not a huge fan of the 'drinking chocolates', way too sugary
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

My little ones always prefer a mug of drinking chocolate made from cocoa with a tsp of sugar added, when they come in from playing out in the winter :) The modern stuff is a definite no no :D

VPM
x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic