Spud Growing Innovation

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Trixie74
KG Regular

Managed to significantly over order on the tatties - mainly due to indecision about which to get and ordering the lot.

Has anyone got any spacesaving or unusual ways I can plant these.

Have a large area of allotment for most, a little plot at home and a small raised bed at work - and some heavy duty bags to fill with compost.
peter
KG Regular

Whilst dressed as Darth Vader? :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
adam-alexander
KG Regular

I think that you have answered your own question really. - If you have a few seed pots left over, why not offer them to fellow plotholders, neighbours or Freecycle- better tha waste I would say.

a-a
Trixie74
KG Regular

Maybe I need to stress less about my spuds.
solway cropper
KG Regular

I usually end up with more seed potatoes than I can accommodate so I just bung em in any old containers I can find and stick them wherever there's space. As a last resort I give em away. I like potatoes :D
peter
KG Regular

Plant some closer together in the row than the book says.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I often work out how many i'm going to be putting in a row, then if there are 3 or 4 too many, i just put a couple of the smaller ones in the same hole together.

Seems to work alright. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

That's why I like ordering my seed potatoes from Thompson and Morgan, because they sell them by number of potatoes (10, 20, 40), rather than weight. I know that on all our beds, a row will take 20 potatoes, so I order accordingly. There are usually one or two more in the pack in any case, so one gets some spares.
solway cropper
KG Regular

I wish I could afford to pay Thompson & Morgan prices :wink:
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Solway Cropper,
Would you care to tell us where you get your genuine seed potatoes from?
JB.
Trixie74
KG Regular

I got mine from JBA Seed Potatoes - seemed a reasonable price compared to garden centers and they have a fantastic range (salad blue yum)

http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/
glallotments
KG Regular

Monika wrote:That's why I like ordering my seed potatoes from Thompson and Morgan, because they sell them by number of potatoes (10, 20, 40), rather than weight. I know that on all our beds, a row will take 20 potatoes, so I order accordingly. There are usually one or two more in the pack in any case, so one gets some spares.

Alan Romans sell in 10, 20 ,60 tubers in a bag. Trouble is postage charges when growing on line as potatoes are heavy!
Trixie74
KG Regular

JBA were in 10 tuber, 2.5kg, 5kg or 25kg.

I got 2.5kg and shared with someone (11 types!! a bit overkill) and the postage was only £5.
JohnN
KG Regular

I have two local "Horticultural Society" stores which supply just about everything, including seed spuds by the number, for basic prices. Don't they have such co-operatives in other parts of the country? This year I'm trying some "Lady C" - don't know if that means Lady Chatterley, but she was no small potatoes! :roll:
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

JohnN wrote:This year I'm trying some "Lady C"

Lady Christl I should think.

@Trixie74: Early potatoes can be spaced much closer than maincrop varieties. If you want extra-early potatoes you'll likely harvest them before they are fully mature, which means that they can be spaced closer still.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic