Qualcast Classic 35s bowl nut / jet.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mowerman
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

Just working on the above. It is real hard to start from either cold or hot. With the choke setting on full and then my hand over the air filter to draw more petrol in seems the only way to make it work. I did remove the bowl nut which is also the jet for cleaning / inspection. Sure enough the smallest jet / hole needed cleaning. There is a very tiny rubber ring in the top of the jet / bolt which perished. Anyone know what this is for and would it effect the starting? if so where would I get one please? Thank you in advance for any advice at all.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
The Classic 35s is a bit too new for my ageing knowledge. :oops: However, if I have done my sums right then it had the AQ148 engine which I believe is in fact a Tecumseh Europe engine and fitted with Dellorto carb.

I have found this link to a parts diagram hoping that it may help your endeavours. http://www.lawnmowerparts.co.uk/partfin ... p?pID=1410

Item 25 will I think be a fibre washer.
22 will be a "rubber" seal washer on the bowl drain fitting.

For full cleaning I believe item 15 may unscrew. It will be brass and may have a screwdriver slot at its centre. The fact that it is brass means it can be easily damaged if using a poor fitting screwdriver. For earlier models with similar carb' there was, for service workshop use, a special screwdriver that was shaped to fit the jet end without damage. The holes in the side of this central main jet emulsion tube, as well as the central hole, could block on earlier similar models.

If in doubt all local service agents should be familiar with this mower/engine.

...and a bit of interesting news re Atco / Suffolk Punch current models. http://www.allett.co.uk/news.html#new_range

Clive.
mowerman
KG Regular

Hi Clive,

thank you for your reply and further information. You are quite right, it is the AQ148 engine. The jet is like this one:
http://www.ebaying.toucansurf.com/Mowers/Main%20jet.JPG there is a small balll bearing in the hexagon end which you use to unscrew the jet / bowl fastener. I have a J19lm / B2lm plug in. Maybe I should run it for a while as it was stood for 4 years. Engine done very little work, blades still red! What is the ball bearing for?

Also, there is a lever that comes out of the crank case and has a control rod to the throttle. The lever moves by itself depending on the revs. What is this for please?

Thanks in advance.
Clive.
KG Regular

I'm puzzled by the ball bearing described...but then I'm not familiar with the AQ148 engine, it appeared 3 years after I left the mower world. If it is a manual choke lever Dellorto carb as per the drawing then I would have expected a basic hexagon bowl nut and then the main jet emulsion tube to be an internal tube item 15. perhaps there was a later change of fitments beyond my ageing knowledge.?

The lever from the crankcase would I expect be the link from the internal flyweight governor. The handlebar throttle will tension a governor spring and it is this spring that provides the set speed working against the relative pull of the flyweight governor to maintain a constant speed when under load.

Clive.
mowerman
KG Regular

Hi Clive, as ever thank you very much for your valued input to my questions. Just to give the big picture, I will take a picture and post it on here of the nut / jet assy. I think I will strip the carb off the manifold and use carb cleaning spray. The engine was stood for 4 years so I would expect some gumming of the fuel that was still inside.

I understand about the internal fly weight govenor now and as you mentioned "to maintain a constant speed when under load. " That makes sense now. I'll post the pics today.

Thank you very much.
mowerman
KG Regular

Hi Clive, as promised, please see the main jet http://www.ebaying.toucansurf.com/Mowers/Qualcast%20Jet.jpg and the governor lever, http://www.ebaying.toucansurf.com/Mowers/Qualcast%20Govenor.jpg. Thanks again for your input here.

Simon
Clive.
KG Regular

Seems then that this engine has a different carb' to the one that I had expected it to be...so please disregard the parts list that I had found for AQ148 engine with Dellorto brand of carb' as it is now definitely not applicable along with the emulsion jet tube removal thoughts

From your photos it is very evident that it is a Tecumseh own brand carburettor....and sadly I have not had any dealings with them so can't come up with any specific hints about them. :oops:

Clive.
Richard
KG Regular

The carb in the picture is very close to a Del-Orto, I suspect that Tecumseh may have made Del-Ortos under licence in the US. I think the ball bearing is used as a blanking plug, Tecumseh must have found it easier to drill the float bowl bolt right through and then knock in the ball. My brother has a Qualcast rotary mower with a Tecumseh engine, this has a primer bulb instead of a choke. I have had the carb to pieces due to blocked jets but can’t say I remember a rubber ring on the jet bolt. Tecumseh only ceased trading about three years ago so Qualcast agents should be able to supply spares for some time yet.
Regards, Richard
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic