Late Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Well I won't be retiring my hot water bottle any time soon,!
Gardener hoping to reschedule seeding over our veg patc on Monday, delayed from yesterday because of the snow. Isn,t it still a little early in the season to expect the seed to germinate? I would personally have delayed until April to give it a good start but he,s a busy guy with a packed schedule.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, they do sell a Winter mix now, that will germinate at very low temperatures but, I like to have the temperatures a lot warmer than they are at the moment, for normal grass seed. The longer the seed is laying there dormant, the more of it that gets eaten by birds, mice and anything else that takes a fancy to it….

Wish I was your gardener…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Kind sentiment OH. Grassing over my veg patch is akin to having my pet put to sleep but realities have to be faced alas.
I didn,t know about the low temperature germinatIng grass seed so you,re never too old to learn things on this forum!

Limpy, our injured wood pigeon who visits daily to be fed will undoubtedly have a field day though !
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I must confess, I didn’t know about it until I had to do some major repairs to a lawn, where builders had been running over it with a digger and skip loaders….so went onto Boston Seeds website…..gosh do they know there stuff and very good prices too….

Westi
KG Regular

Rain all day here! Tomorrow afternoon looking better then the morning so I will go down for a couple of hours, but pretty much rain, drizzle & breezy & no sign of the yellow thing in the sky until next Saturday!

I think I missed a trick & should have popped the 1st E in when I prepped the area. I dug out the trenches but the plan is to use the deep weed attachment on the hoe to dig deeper holes in the bottom to actually plant into & the soil removed will just be for filling up rather than earthing up. With the amount of rain we have had the trenches will be too soggy & any holes dug will just collapse in.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Have you ever had dealings with them, Clive, I think they are in your neck of the woods?

robo
KG Regular

Might take my left knee for a short walk tomorrow a very short walk ,it’s getting cut out on Tuesday and a new one fitted I hope
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Old H'
I haven't dealt with Boston Seeds, although I have just visited their website on the strength of you posting...very interesting to read through whilst digesting my fish and chips ;)
Most lawn seeding we have had to do in the day job has just been some patch repairs after lawn edge remaking so have tended to just buy small quantities at a local outlet 5 mins away so it gets used out and doesn't go old.
I have a feeling though I may know someone locally who grows wildflower seed for them....harvested with a tiny blue combine harvester.

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good luck with your knee, Robo, hope all goes well for you!

Evening Clive, hope your fish and chips were up to standard…😀
I watched a snippet on the computer about farming in 1961, and they were saying about the modern Massey Ferguson combine they were using….think the bed on it was only about 8 foot wide….look at the beasts now!!

Geoff
KG Regular

Good luck for your knee Robo from me too, if it goes as well as my wife's has you'll be well pleased. Don't forget "no pain - no gain", do what you are told and suffer a bit at first.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Good luck Robbo and a full recovery
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
retropants
KG Regular

Good Luck with your knee Robo!

btw, is it too soon to be seeing a baby wood pidge? There was what looked like one on our patio this morning, but we thought it was a tad early in the season??
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Pigeons can and often do breed all year round, we had them nesting inside the factory where I worked during the winter months.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

No, there will be quite a few young birds about now, especially Blackbirds…..most will succumb to this inclement weather…a real shame!

Primrose
KG Regular

Good luck with the knee op Robo. Hope it makes a big improvement to your life. Perhaps I should book the adjoining bed for a total body transplant.

Incidentally today's paper refers to Miners Lettuce (Montia perfolitiata)) The flower appears through the leaves and it's a vigorous climber. Apparently miners used to add it to their sandwiches which is how it got this name. . It can also be used in stir fries and garnishes. I,ve never heard of it. Anybody familiar with it ? It obviously seems to be a weed of some kind but have no idea what it tastes like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic