Things still flowering

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elaine
KG Regular

I'm amazed by the flowers in my garden which are still in bloom. My hanging baskets with geraniums and surfinia are still going strong, roses are still flowering, as are fuchsias and a clematis. The pot with geraniums is still a lovely bright red splash of colour too.
Also, some of the strawberries are sporting flowers again.
What have you got still flowering its head off in your garden?

I must admit, I prefer this years weather to last year at this time!
Happy with my lot
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Yes, I have borage, roses, nasturtium, marigolds and pineapple sage, and cape gooseberries in flower the cape gooseberries are still producing fruit, and we picked the last of the grapes last week. I last saw a red admiral butterfly end of last week, it all looks a bit incongrous with the dead leaves blowing about. Oh yes and in the unheated greenhouse there are some cherry tomatoes that look about ready to ripen :roll:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

Crazy year, I have a third flowering of delphiniums, stills lots of marigolds and gailardia and even picked 3 very ripe tayberries today.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Elaine, i have some nice cauli-flowers in tight bud. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

We've still got a climbing rose (Zephyrine Drouhin) in flower, also poached egg plant and many pot marigolds. Some other flowers, like candytuft, have a few odd blooms here or there. It's been an odd year" along the Bailey at Skipton Castle, lots of the thousands of daffodils there are coming into flower now! Never seen that before.
The Mouse
KG Regular

I picked some outdoor tomatoes today (Sungold), and spotted one very premature primrose!
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
MikA
KG Regular

We have 2 fuchsias still in full bloom one of which is in a very exposed place at the bottom of the front drive with no shelter at all. The one in the back garden is in a border where there are helebores flowering and primroses.
The best flower at the moment is Nicotiana Langsdorfii (The one with the blue pollen) which has been going all summer. Much smaller and less yucky to touch than the ordinary one.
MikA
KG Regular

This very confused clematis is still producing flowers even though we have had a couple of cold nights recently.
confused clematis_0010830.jpg
confused clematis_0010830.jpg (120.64 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
Westi
KG Regular

Unfortunately my Plum Beauty is in flower. Flowered early last year (obviously not this early) and I got no fruit at all. Looks like another year before I get to taste one unless it it decides to flower again at the more appropriate time.

Westi
Westi
The Mouse
KG Regular

When I visited the lottie a few days ago, I noticed that the blackcurrant bushes and the apple trees are at a stage that I expect to see in March or April, not over the Christmas period. If the weather finally turns wintery, the coming year could be very challenging for these very confused plants!!!
Mark Twain
Monika
KG Regular

Our first rhubarb is ready for picking, just growing outside, not forced or covered. We think it's Timperley Early and there have been years when we had rhubarb crumble at Christmas, freshly picked.
Other things in flower are dead nettle, pot marigold, wallflowers, stocks.
On Monday he maximum temperature was 11 degrees, today it's considerably cooler and very, very windy. Monday was also the first day this December here without any precipitation!
Elaine
KG Regular

Well, here we are in 2012! Happy New Year everyone!
I'm still amazed that my geranium pots are still blooming despite frosts. Both fuchsias have a few flowers hanging in there, a rose has flowers, buds and hips, the Pieris has been flowering since September and the Kerria Japonica has just one flower. The self sown marigold seeds are beginning to germinate too.
It just goes to show, Nature deals with things in it's own way...isn't it wonderful?
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
The Mouse
KG Regular

I saw a beautiful climbing rose this afternoon on a house wall that had lots of white flowers. It looked so good that it did cross my mind that they might have stuck artificial flowers on it, but if they did, they have stuck a lot of very realistic-looking flower buds up there too!

I have just been around the garden taking photos of the flowers this afternoon, too, so that in the future I can prove what an incredible season it has been. :D
Mark Twain
The Mouse
KG Regular

There are some brambles at the side of our allotments that have got half-ripe blackberries on them, and new flower buds - not bad for January!
Mark Twain
glallotments
KG Regular

Visited the plot yesterday and found these newcomers.
Attachments
primroseanddaisy.jpg
primroseanddaisy.jpg (322.17 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic