Cambells Soups

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Did anyone notice how Canpbells soups disappeared off the shelves for quite a while? I used to use these a lot for cooking now they are back and make great cook-in-sauces for chicken sausages and veg etc. So easy.

Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'd not noticed they had gone, but had stopped using them because they were far too salty. They were putting so much in that they were spoiling otherwise very good soups. Perhaps they've been reviewing their recipes.

I make lots of my own soup and freeze it, so don't need to buy any now.
Beryl
KG Regular

No I'm the same Plumpudding. I make lots of soup to freeze but the Campbells used from the tin undiluted is a very quick creamy sauce.

Beryl.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi All

When did they stop making it :shock: I used to use campbells chicken consomme when making chicken & sweetcorn soup.

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Beryl
KG Regular

I don't really know Arnie. It was always one of those standby things I kept in the cupboard. Then when I was looking for something for a change realised they had disappeared. Not sure if it was another one of those products that was taken over. I don't think the full range is back but the basic chicken, mushroom and tomato are in Waitrose.

Beryl.
peter
KG Regular

All is explained in this old news article from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7022598.stm
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Beryl
KG Regular

Mystery solved - thanks Peter.
Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Well, I didn't even know (or I'd forgotten) that Batchelors had been taken over by Premier Foods. It was originally based at Hillsborough in Sheffield just down the road from me. It was in the same area as the Bassets Liquorice Allsorts factory which has gone the same way. Even our world famous Silver Fox stainless steel made at Stocksbridge's Samuel Fox and Co Ltd is now owned by the Indian company Tata (no comment).

Did you know (nothing to do with soup) that stainless steel was invented by Harry Brearley, my great uncle but unfortunately didn't make his fortune as he was working as a metallurgist for Firth Brown's - a partner of Samuel Fox & co when they formed the United Steel Companies.
Last edited by PLUMPUDDING on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Plumpudding, that's very interesting, but as often happens, someone else takes the credit.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic