Green Bean Piccalilli

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

WestHamRon
KG Regular

There was a very good recipe in a recent copy of KG.
How long between making and eating, if you please?
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I tried an on line recipe for that and found it too sweet, can you post the recipe please, we have loads of beans and I shall try again. The wisley magic beans planted early, have been very prolific, and the moonlight plabted later have been smothered in flowers just coming into production now. My tip keep the pickle somewhere cool and dark if you want to keep a good colour. not sure of the optimum time to mature as I hadn't made it before.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
glallotments
KG Regular

We used this recipes but just used green beans instead of the other ingredients.

http://glallotments.co.uk/Piccalilli.aspx

Although it's called sweet piccalilli it hasn't any added sugar.
We do make it on a stove outside as the boiling vinegar is very potent!
Primrose
KG Regular

I haven't used this particular recipe before but my past experience with pickles & chutneys of various kinds suggests that you should leave them for at least a month. I don't think this is necessarily a hard & fast rule as they will all have the necessary amount of preservatives in; it's probably just a case of letting the flavours mature a little.
glallotments
KG Regular

Generally it is supposed to be better after keeping a few months but often we can't wait and eat it sooner - no problem eating it straight away!
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:I tried an on line recipe for that and found it too sweet, can you post the recipe please, we have loads of beans and I shall try again. The wisley magic beans planted early, have been very prolific, and the moonlight plabted later have been smothered in flowers just coming into production now. My tip keep the pickle somewhere cool and dark if you want to keep a good colour. not sure of the optimum time to mature as I hadn't made it before.

I can't find it online, but it's on page 98 of September's issue.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

WestHamRon, thank you, there are loads of beans still so I made a second batch, then a third :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic