It's raining!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

It never rains but it pours :wink:

Thanks for the map link, Geoff. You certainly do seem to have a rain pocket around Bowland!

Looking at our area, up to 75% of average is just about right. Average rainfall gives us a pretty unpleasant spring usually.

Fortunately I spent two sweltering afternoons Friday and yesterday cutting all my grass, lawns and field - first time it had been dry enough for several weeks. I was expecting a cooler, restful day today, but now the forecast has changed from cool and cloudy to heavy rain this afternoon. At least I won't be watering except in the polytunnel. And I won't need the grass cuttings as mulch :wink:
Ian in Cumbria
KG Regular

The map was interesting and confirmed how it has felt here. I'm in Cumbria very close to where Cumbria is closest to the Isle of Man. Just about average rainfall. There has been a difference though, I think, in that there have been more dry, warm days than is normal, with heavier rain on the days it has rained. This might explain why the outdoor plants are much as normal but the ones under glass seem to be earlier than I would have expected.

Regards

Ian
Primrose
KG Regular

NB - yes my first row of peas are podding now too and as soon as they're finished I will definitely be chopping the haulms up and using them as mulch. I'm wondering how effective pet bedding straw is as a mulch. The problem is that the ground needs to be given a really good soaking first. I guess thereafter, only a really heavy & prolonged downpour would penetrate it and top up the moisture levels below the soil.
Geoff
KG Regular

Could do with the regional figures as well as the percentages - 75% of a lot up here is still plenty but less than 20% of little in the East is very little, hope you see what I mean. Raining at the moment by the way, that's why I'm on here!

PS : should have searched before I posted - more stats than you can cope with, one example

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ ... rages.html
alan refail
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:75% of a lot up here is still plenty but less than 20% of little in the East is very little, hope you see what I mean.

That's what I meant when I said "Looking at our area, up to 75% of average is just about right. Average rainfall gives us a pretty unpleasant spring usually."

And many thanks for the link.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Very welcome rain on and off all morning. Just hope it carries on for the rest of the day :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Geoff
KG Regular

Starting from the link above you can get to some nice maps by selecting "Regional Climates".
They can be slightly confusing. If you select "View the Regional Mapped Climate Averages" and select, for example, "Rainfall" and "Annual" and look at different areas you find dark brown in NW England is 600-1000mm but in the East it represents only 460-560mm.
You can look at the whole of the UK with "View the UK Mapped Climate Averages" which obviously is not as detailed but removes the anomaly.
What fun there is to be had while the rainfall stats are accumulating.
Keep seeing cyclists going past whiles typing then realised it was this http://www.le-terrier.co.uk/ (saw a sign yesterday).
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Being in the less than 20% area, I am very happy to say we have had some steady rain all morning. Yippeee! The rain dance did it!
Primrose, hope you got some rain too, lately I save water that i wash veg in etc and water the beds, it goes through the straw mulch OK. This morning
something had been digging under the mulch, luckily it missed the plants, probably a badger after worms.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

You are lucky NB, in our corner of West Sussex it has been spitting and spotting most of the day, but nothing that will do any good. :(
Kind regards,

Elle
alan refail
KG Regular

Well, despite what I said this morning viewtopic.php?p=93464#p93464 the afternoon has turned out hot and totally dry. At least I had a good nap, expecting to be rained off.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Elle, I hope the rain comes your way too soon, we had a few spits and spots last week. It will take a lot more though to make a real difference and fill the water butts. I had been waiting hoping for rain, so rushed out and planted the runner beans and sweetcorn and some outdoor cucumbers and courgettes, they should take before the next sunny day hopefully :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Dear NB, thank you for sending it our way - it is with us now :D . Hopefully it will stay a while and penetrate further than the top 2 mm of soil!
Kind regards,

Elle
Monika
KG Regular

Thanks for finding that map, Geoff - fascinating, isn't it? No rain here today, just, literally, a few spots (I thought it was bird pee at first) which did not even wet the ground. Come to think of it, birds don't pee, do they? They just poo.

And the wind is still so cold and unpleasant. Flaming June, eh?
Stephen
KG Regular

Geoff
Fascinating figures. Here in Herts we are in East Anglia and the rainfall over the past three months has been 36%, 11% and 15% of average, which is why I was so happy when it was raining.
It was raining this afternoon too (affecting the Lords Test too).

However, my onions are looking better than any previous year :D
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

We've had light rain all night, which was very welcome :D

I suppose the slugs will be out in force now. Still, something else to moan about :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic