Shallots

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pigletwillie
KG Regular

There is absolutely no regulations to stop you bringing plants etc in from mainland europe.

We had a continental market here in Leicester last week and they had more onions, shallots, garlic et al to shake a stick at.

A bag of onions and some garlic is nothing to what they brought over.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Deb P
KG Regular

I had already checked the DEFRA website to see what veg and plants I could bring back from France, and it states I can bring back up to 2kg of veg 'for personal use packed in your own baggage'.There are different rules for commercial imports, requiring certificates for plant health etc, bought growing plants have to have this.

Just shows that this Country is going to the dogs :( and losing our natural island defences against Colorado beetles et al.

The last time I went to the continent in my car...many moons ago....you weren't allow to bring in any fruit, veg and flowers. But I also think if they say 2Kg of veg for personal use they mean eating it, not growing it and therefore spreading the nasties all over your alloments.

We also have the 'almost compulsary' continental market here in November, I just wonder how much the councils sponsor these events...even if it just giving them fee space..surely they can't make that much money to make it worth their while coming over here, when Tescos sell Brie etc for cheaper! and I dread to think how many food hygene rules they are breaking that 'we British' would not get away with!

By the way the Customs office in Fishguard for the ferry from Ireland is a room with a notice on the wall.

'If you have anything to declare please phone the number below...'
vivie veg
KG Regular

Sorry above guest was me .....forgot to log in again!
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Viv,

I think that a bag of garlic from France isnt really an issue regarding spreading pests or disease.

Most of it comes in on shipments of things such as Tree ferns from New Zealand and Australia which are a whole continent away and in packing cases from China, stuffed full of creepies because they are not fumigated as they should be. This sort of stuff comes in by the shipload EVERYDAY. Thousands upon thousands of 40ft containers laden with the stuff.

Then there is the stuff supermarkets ship in from all over the world, the peelings of which end up in many a compost heap to spread bugs around.

And you worry about 2Kg of garlic from France, most of the bugs there can be blown over in a good wind.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
A Francophile

Anonymous wrote:Just shows that this Country is going to the dogs ....

We also have the 'almost compulsary' continental market here in November, I just wonder how much the councils sponsor these events...and I dread to think how many food hygene rules they are breaking that 'we British' would not get away with!

Zenophobia seems to grow well in our soil though!
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Yes, who let those dirty continentals on our pristine shores! :roll:
Deb P
KG Regular

Just got back from hols, spent mostly at various markets in Southern France! Their growing season is sbout 8 weeks ahead of ours at the moment, our hosts were planting out their summer bedding plants!!

Managed to find some 'big boy' banana shallots at Cancon farmers market, biggest is 9" long, 2kg was 3.20 euros! Most shallots sold at the markets were considerably smaller, but these put my UK purchased 'Jermor' variety to shame. The farmers were highly amused at my 'O' level French (tres rusty), but very helpful once they realised what I wanted them for. Also managed to get some carrot seeds in tapes, worth a try after carrot fiasco last season, purple french bean seeds, so guess what I will be busy doing today! Vive la France!
richard p
KG Regular

in this country it certainly apears that defra (the old min of ag) have a totally different attitude to ec rules and regs than any of the southern europe countries ive visited. over here defra sieze on ec regs as soon as possible and enforce compliance to as rigid an interpretation as they can dream up. over there the practice seems to be its a daft regulation well ignore it. this attitude also seems to apply to health and safety at work. in spain ive seen a painter astride the top of a 12 foot step ladder painting the end of a building with a roller on a 12 ft pole , over here we would have to use scaffolding etc. the whole idea of standardisation throughout the eu is in practise ludicrous
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic