Potatoes...will this work?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allison
KG Regular

Hi all,

I have acquired my neighbours plot, which has had raspberries for a number of years.I have removed the healthiest canes, and have replanted them elsewhere.

The plot has been neglected for a number of years, and had become congested with weeds and grass. Last September it was treated with Roundup and we have since forked it over, but not thoroughly.

We were hoping to plant potatoes straight into it, and wondered if we could do this through black plastic, to eliminate the weeds, Would this work?

I have heard of a lazy method of growing potatoes, but am not sure what that involves.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Allison
peter
KG Regular

I would be cautious about black plastic.

I used some for weed suppression, and the bindweed still managed to grow green under it.
Depends on type / quality / source I guess my free stuff was not right.

You definately do NOT want green potatoes.

Provided you leave enought gap between rows and are quite active with your earthing up, plus maybe also mulch down the gaps, I used lawn mowings, the weeds wont do that well anyway.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
peter
KG Regular

The Lazy method I think was if growing in uncultivated ground, e.g. Lawn.

I've probably got this wrong.
Cut two turves and reserve.
Place seed potato where join between the two removed turves was.
Cut next two turves, turn and lay over potato.
Repeat to end of row and use original pair of turevs for last potato.

It was probably a bit more complicated.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Compo
KG Regular

I think you would be better off just planting in holes using a bulb planter about four inches deep, when you earth up you will naturally weed out any weeds anyway, then as the plants get bigger less weed will grow under them anyway, choose a vigorous type with bushy growth, you will have cleaner plot next year after the spuds have been there.

Your plot will look tidier and you wont have to buy any plastic.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
mandylew
KG Regular

lazy beds were in KG 2 years ago, as I remember you cut an [------------] shape in the turf, the legth of your bed and fold the both sides out fron the centre, both in effect turning it upside down, then you laid compost in the trench created, put your potatoes on and covered with more compost/topsoil. I did this plus put black polythene over the top and had a fair crop, although the wireworms had a treat too.

mandy
Allison
KG Regular

Thank you for all your suggestions......I think I will take your advice and just put them straight in, earth them up well and hope for the best. It is a fair sized bed and will be fairly expensive to cover in a thick enough grade plastic.

Thanks again for the advice,

Allison
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic