ORGANIC OR NOT

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

Perhaps now Compo you get the meaning of my original comment.

The O word stirs up a lot of emotive postings, the thread gets heated and people don't feel like talking to some other people.

To borrow the analogy of being in a room full of people.
The argument about who did what in last weekends soccer match has just finished, everyone has calmed down and got on to other subjects and someone walks in the door and says, "Did you see the match last saturday?". There you are sitting quietly in the corner thinking "Not again!".

Pigletwillie is, again, at 7:58am on target with his comments as is Chez
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
p.r.

Just so there is no confusion I am not the anonomous guest on this thread. I have been signing all my threads for at least 2 months now since a discussion with Valmarg and Chantel. The reason I am not registered anymore is nothing to do with this thread and is between myself and the powers that be. The moderators can check the mailing addresses. I just wanted to make sure I was not getting the credit for the other guests contribution....paul.
David
KG Regular

Your situation with the 'powers that be' sounds much more intersting than this thread Paul - do tell?
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I found this on a website about Organic Food.

http://www.purelyorganic.co.uk/organic-reasons.html

Says it all really?

Some of the top reasons why you would benefit from eating organic

Conventionally farmed food is packed full of poisonous chemicals. An apple, for example, normally has up to 30 artificial poisons on its skin, and that is AFTER you have washed it. Organic food is pesticide-free and so that means no pesticide poisoning for those who are eating it.
All organic food must adhere to strict organic regulations and the producers are subject to frequent and random regulations.
In general organic food contains up to 50% more vitamins, minerals and cancer-fighting antioxidants than conventionally farmed food. This means that when you eat organic food you are benefiting from all these extra vitamins and minerals.
Organic food is prohibited from using genetically modified crop and seed. If you take into account that the affect on humans of the GM food consumption is currently unknown this is a very persuasive deciding factor for many consumers.
All the organically farmed animals are humanely treated and not pumped full of a cocktail of drugs like their conventionally farmed counterparts. This means that when you eat organic meat you can be rest assured that you are not consuming these potentially dangerous drugs.
You won’t need to worry about BSC when you eat organic food because there is no reported case of BSC in organic cattle.
Many people simply go crazy for the taste of organic produce, a few top chefs among them.
Organic farming is generally better for the environment than intensive farming and supports beautiful and diverse wildlife.

Yes, they are Soil Associated approved.

Barney
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Oh dear, why do you have to make such a sensationalist post? You only serve to discredit the organic movement. Don't you think that if conventionally produced food were 'packed full of poisonous chemicals' people would die when they're eating them? You make an apple sound like the one in Snow White.
And can you please cite the study that shows that "In general organic food contains up to 50% more vitamins, minerals and cancer-fighting antioxidants than conventionally farmed food"? There was a study showing that levels of these nutrients had declined in conventionally farmed food since the war. I haven't heard of any other that would substantiate your claim.
I'm probably one of the most organic growers on this site and believe me, you only make life harder by doing things like this.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hi Jenny

These are NOT my claims, I just copied them from the Web site I visited. I am surprised that a Soil Association approved site can make such claims.

Barney
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Me too. I had a look at the site and it seems they're in the business of selling organic produce, surprise, surprise.
The Soil Association should be a more reliable source of substantiated claims.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I am as organic as possible and very greenand in some instances one fights the other.

I would sooner eat non organic English apples than organic New Zealand ones.

Here`s a new buzz word to throw into the pot, "seasonal". If we all ate seasonally most stuff would not need artificial feeds and chemicals to produce (or very little) and would be much more sustainable than trying to produce tastless strawberries in March. Tastier, more organic and Greener all in one shot
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Cider Boys wrote:Hi Jenny

These are NOT my claims, I just copied them from the Web site I visited. I am surprised that a Soil Association approved site can make such claims.

Barney

Just had another thought about this. The Soil Association approves growers, not websites.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jenny,
I think that the SA were made to stop advertising claims like this a while ago because none of the claims can be substansiated. In fact it is an almost complete pack of lies.
Am I being too cynical but the claims are still being made but not by the SA which puts them in the clear but they clearly condone such practices.
This is what I have been fighting for years yet now you have it before your very eye's.
It certainly doesn't do Organics any good but this is the sort of tactics that they have been associated with the SA for damn near all their existence.
Perhaps now people will come to understand why I am anti Soil Association BUT not anti Organics.
It is not the Organics as we all want to know it is fanaticism of the worst kind.
Organics is a good wholesome way for people to produce their own good quality fresh food.As previously stated I am Pragmatic rather than Organic because I am prepared to use chemical pesticides if all else fails and I beleive in the use of man made fertilizers, as suppliments, and I use Peat for the production of seedlings only. To me this is just plain common sense.
Last edited by Johnboy on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JB.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Johnboy

You put my sentiments into words.

The complication is unless these claims are challenged, the busy general public thing Organic approved is good and 'all' the others are full of nasty chemicals.

Barney
Allan
KG Regular

More lies from that website. By the way, it is BSE, not BSC, my brothers took that at London University. One thing that Organic can be sure of is trashing Science. I won't bother to answer the charges made against the rest of the non-Organic people. If people want to spend their money on chasing a myth of allegedly better food who am I to stop them. The take-up is still only a tiny proportion of all the food sold.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic