Cloche plastic covering??

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

cfs5839
KG Regular

Hi,

Ive made some 2.1m cloches out of wood will upload some pics. And brought some plastic covering from the garden centre but it was useless far too thin and has started ripping all ready. Does anyone know where you can by thicker plastic i need something like the bags of builders sand comes in nearer to the thickness of proper poly tunnel material.

The cloches work out at around £4 each in wood + covering material so a little cheaper than brough ones but should last a lot longer.

Thanks,
Geoff
KG Regular

John
KG Regular

Hello CFS
There are a couple of other places you could try such Gardening naturally- they have 150 gauge sheet:

http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acat ... thene.html

These people also have lots of other very practical stuff like hoops, tubing, netting, fleece and mesh but for really thick sheet Two Wests have some 500 gauge:

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/POC.htm

I've had stuff from both of these companies before and the quality and service has been excellent.
Hope this helps

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
cfs5839
KG Regular

thanks for your help.

Is there a way you could somehow describe the thickness (difficult i know) of 150 guage sheet. Is it like the building sand bags?

thanks
John
KG Regular

Hello CFS
Just found this on Google which gives a good idea of the uses of different thickness of polythene. 150 sheet would seem to be more like a good quality poly bag and 500 sheet is the stuff used for builders bags etc.

"Below are some of the most popular gauges of polybags and a guide to their general use:

* 100 gauge (25 micron) - light duty polythene bags. Cheap polybags widely used for economic packaging and storage in office, warehouse and industrial applications. These bags provide basic moisture and dirt protection for light goods.
* 120 gauge (30 micron) - general duty polythene bags. Cheap bags used for packaging and storing smooth, light components e.g. clothing, confectionery, leaflets, instruction booklets.
* 200 gauge (50 micron) - medium duty poly bags. This bag thickness is the most popular choice for general food packaging, DIY, retail display, bolts, fixings, panels, and kits etc.
* 250 gauge (62.5 micron) - medium duty polythene bags. A good mid range bag and an ideal choice for general packaging, warehouse, retail and industrial applications.
* 400 gauge (100 micron) - stronger, more durable and tear resistant polythene bags. These heavy duty bags are ideal for heavier or more irregular products and are available in larger sizes.

500 gauge (125 micron) - heavy duty, tough and puncture resistant poly bags. Ideal for large or heavier components e.g. machine parts, screws, fixings, fabric protection, packaging goods in transit etc. Again, available as large polythene bags up to 36" x 48" (900mm x 1200mm)."

Hope this helps

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
cfs5839
KG Regular

John,

Thanks very helpful find will have a look around now.

many thanks
Primrose
KG Regular

A good source of free heavy duty polythene are the furniture suppliers who deliver beds, and in particular mattresses which are usually wrapped in the stuff. Last time we had a new bed delivered, I saved the polythene wrapping and the driver told me they are usually happy to give it away to anybody who asks.
Bitzy66
KG Regular

Hi I made a cloche from some old 3x2 timber and set some dowels into the long sides ,then I bent over some blue plastic water pipe over to form the arch and covered it with some clear potythene from the builders merchants .it came out very sturdy and has so far lasted me three seasons with only a bit of maintanance .All large builders merchants will sell all of the items you need to make one .
Bitzy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic