making compost

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vicki
KG Regular

:D at last! our local council have started doing subsidised compost bins! I have decided to take advantage and get a couple @ £6 each - bargain!, but am a bit stuck with where to begin. :? From what I hear its a bit more complicated than just chucking anything in!
Any tips please?
Smiling is infectious....
Tigger
KG Regular

Vicki - you'll find some previous postings on this if you do a search. I think there are also some internet references which might be of help.

It's not too complicated. If it's a normal compost bin it won't really be big enough to get a fast, hot cooking of the materials, which is more dependent on the contents being correct.
If you put in your uncooked vegetable waste and weeds (not anything with seeds on or perennial weed roots, such as bindweed or couch grass), and untreated cardboard, it should slowly sort itself out. If it gets slimy, mix in more cardboard. If it's dry and isn't rotting down, add water.
Chantal
KG Regular

Ho Vicki, Tigger's right, there's quite a few postings on compost but the longest and possibly the best was this one viewtopic.php?t=35&highlight=compost

:D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic