Watercress

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivie veg
KG Regular

I'm aiming this one at Allan, you mentioned watercress in the Organic debate!

Any tips on growing and selling this.

I tried last year to take some to 'Country markets' (formally WI Market) and they refused to let me sell it due to possible contamination with liverfluke (via snails eggs). They would not let me selling duck eggs and insist you sell at the prices they set, which were ridiculously high and limited the number of people walking through the door, so I only went there twice having sold just £12 and £11 having taken about £100 of produce each time.

I tried Googling Watercress and came up with loads of council run markets that merely stated that watercress can be sold in bunches...nothing about sales restrictions and growing practices.

I only grow Watercress in the back garden in big storage containers (no holes) but have not come up with any detailed method of growing.

Are there any legal restrictions on growing watercress for sale?

Any help will be gratefully put into action!

Also thanks for the Polytunnel usegroup, my partner has set it up for me.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Tigger
KG Regular

It grows naturally in our stream and we eat it as long as it's in production. No problem.
Allan
KG Regular

The problem with watercress is that it is assumed that it is grown in running water and the liver fluke may contamonate that water. If no stream, no liver fluke. Ours is grown in the polytunnel, gets only rain water or tap water. We had ours tested, no problem. On the packs we state polytunnel grown just in case someone questions its safety but it's as safe as any other vegetable. Ours has more bite to it than that grown in water, it might be because of somewhat restricted water supply, on the down side we can't get the constant temperature in the winter so it stops growing in the coldest, dullest part of the season. It's still under experimentation. A lot can be done by striking new cuttings frequently in a greenhouse and replanting. On the other hand winter purslane can still be harvested and goes a long way to plug the supply gap but it is very mild.
We supported Country Markets for about 3 years then the local one folded.
lizzie
KG Regular

I pick the watercress from a local country park where loads of it grows wild. Also pick the wild garlic which is everywhere down there. Tastes lovely too. The watercress isn't quite ready yet but i'll give it another week or so.

As for this organic debate. I'm pragmatic about it. Spray if I have too as can't dig too much cos of bad back. So, if the couch or bindweed shows its head out comes the spray. Life's too short
Lots of love

Lizzie
Allan
KG Regular

Are you sure that the watercress you eat doesn't get drainage from water where livestock could infect it with the liver fluke? The commercial people use spring water for its purity and safety.
Allan
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Well I am trying this for the first year as I love water cress, but haveing a lack of spring water I am trying the pot sown route with the pot standing in an inch or 2 or water and kept in the shade.

How long will germination be at about 14 degress celcius?

Thanks

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
lizzie
KG Regular

Very sure thanks Allan. The cattle are kept way over the other side and the water doesn't even go near where the watercress is.

No, i've eaten loads of it and no ill effects. There are a Chinese couple who have been eating the stuff for years and can still be found doing Tai Chi every morning in the woods.

Thanks for the concern though Allan
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic