pricking out and potting on

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

David
KG Regular

Further to Johnboys post on propagators and all the marvellous information it gathered i would like to ask a simmilar question regarding what to do next. Having got the little blighters to show their heads I'm always concerned to give them the best treatment to produce strong productive plants.

Is there any information out there in list form regarding what to do next by plant type?

My particular issue at the moment are my three inch tall Greyhound cabbages and equally tall calabrese.

Thanks you for any information you have.

David

ps Perhaps if information like this is compiled into say MS word docs. the website could hold a library of files for download?
Jude
KG Regular

David,
I too sowed Greyhound cabbages, indoors and probably far too early. They shot out at ninety miles an hour and went leggy very quickly. Sowed some more a couple of weeks ago and immediately they germinated I bunged them out into my little plastic greenhouse where they are now making good sturdy looking plants.
Have binned the first lot and learnt a lesson (maybe!)
It has been difficult with spring so late this year, too much of a temptation to be doing something...anything!!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
fen not fen
KG Regular

Can't supply a list, but your leggy cabbages are not beyond hope. Brassicas and tomatoes can be potted on as deep as you like without ill effect, so you can plant them up to the first leaves and lose the legginess! Most other plants would not tolerate being buried in this way, but brassicas actually benefit from it as it gives them extra anchorage and seems to limit damage from Club Root.
David
KG Regular

Thank you very much - its a relief to know that one way or another we will have cabbage.

David
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic