sowing broad bean seed

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sandersj89
KG Moderator

Thanks Johnboy

I often wonder why French Beans act differently to broad and runner beans. I do not grow as many as I prefer the taste of runner and broads though and I normally start them direct in their final position out in the open.

I will adopt scar down for the runners in a few weeks though.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
val
KG Regular

Thank you so much to all who replied for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate all your thinking and the ensuing discussion. We are going to sow our broad beans in pots this evening and it will be SCAR DOWN, after soaking for a couple of hours.
I have subscribed to KG for a couple of years and this is the first time I have used the forum, I shall be doing so again after this wonderful response,
Valerie
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Val,
Welcome to our midst. The question was not a silly one at all and it comes up most years which was what prompted me to carry out my experiments in the first place. I'm so glad that your first foray has been successful.
Quick note to Jerry. I would love to be able to plant beans direct but the difference betwix Sunny Sussex and very frosty North Herefordshire is very great. I am at 500ft elevation and we are not free of frosts until after the first week in June.
Oh lucky you.
JB.
paul.r

just as an aside.2 doz white longpod and 2doz green longpod broad beans sown on the 8th of feb, in pots in my greenhouse were all up today when i checked...rgds paul.
LakeView
KG Regular

And I went and sowed my broadbeans two days before this discussion! Sown edgewise, but maybe up maybe down. Wish me luck!
Allan
KG Regular

21 March
My trials have reached the start of emergence.15 seads each way So far:-
Sown scar down 3
Sown flat on side 3
Sown upright, root downwards 3
Allan
val
KG Regular

I sowed 18 seeds of the Sutton. 12 have germinated and the others show no signs of doing so. However the 12 are planted out and seem to be doing well.
Valerie
Sweetpea
KG Regular

Goodness me. This really is a case of 'Everything you ever wanted to know about broad beans, but were afraid to ask'!

I am now off to sow mine scar down. Thanks!
p.r.

any wags out there going to start a book on aLLans beans? I'll give you even money on a dead heat.
Allan
KG Regular

You are not far off, PR.
As the beans have near enough all germinated now, very few have failed to come through (2 scar down plus 1 where the bean apparently got missed). The scar down were slightly behind the others (on-the-side and the root down), maybe because the tops had further to grow to the surface, but in the normal usage you wouldn't really know the difference. If I wanted the ultimate in performance I would opt for on edge, root downwards but just on their side is so easy in a a seed tray that will do me fine, I've been doing it this way for years.
I didn't have the chance to set up scar up, that would be interesting in a context of random sowing.
One should not read too much into this trial as there are too many potential variables and what goes for this compost doesn't necessarily hold in others and I have no intention of following it through to cropping stage.
In the ultimate situation on open ground chuck them in and leave it to the beans.
Allan
Brenjon

I have been following the postings on broad beans with interest, especially the information on which way to plant the seeds. The concensus of opinion seems to be scar down, am i right?
Please excuse my ignorance , but what are cotyledons. a simple explanation would be much appreciated.
Regards brenjon
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon,
Cotyledons are the two halves of the bean that split aside to permit the plumule (the growing shoot)to exit from the seed. They are responsible for providing the basic nutrition to the growing embryo and in the case of Broad and Runner Bears underground leaves and with French Beans they are actually carried above ground. They will provide the essentials for the growing plant and eventually when they are exhausted they shrivel and drop off the plant. All plants have them and their primary function is to provide food to the plant when they are in a state that they are not capable of extracting food from anywhere else. These should be kept on the plant as they act as Colustrum does in
mothers milk.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic