Cooking with pea & broad bean pods

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Does anybody have some good recipes for cooking with pea and broad bean pods? We went overboard this morning at a PYO farm and the pods are so lovely & fresh I don't want to consign them to the compost heap. Quick replies please as they're peas are so delicious that they're diminshing by the moment as I'm munching another pod every time I walk by and soon there won't be any left, despite the quantity we picked. :lol:
Primrose
KG Regular

As nobody replied, we went ahead and experimented anyway with the pea pods, simmering them with a little butter and chopped onion for about 20 minutes, and then added some ham stock and a handful of peas and cooked for another 10 mins. Whizzed with a stick blender and put through a sieve. End result was a delicious light summer soup. Couldn't face the fag of repeating the performance with the broad bean pods though, so have chopped them in tiny pieces and forked them into one of my drier 'listless soil' borders where they're already rotting down nicely and hopefully adding some goodness to the soil.
MrsL
KG Regular

Sorry, missed this. Broad bean pods only edible if very young, then can be eaten with the beans. When older, they become "poisonous" , ie could make you ill, but I don;t think it's drop-down-dea-poisonous. My broad bean pods go on the compost heap.
Pea pods are used to make wine; if you don't have enough at one go, jsut freeze what you have until you build up enough to have a go. Otherwise, I feed them to the hens.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic