Buying on the internet

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

lez
KG Regular

As a dinosaur to computing I thought I would have a little dabble and purchase a couple of books via this site. Steve Otts haynes manual and another title in an offer. Having never done this before is it secure? has anyone dealt with amazon before? I am a little concerned as I gave some details and then thought oops perhaps I shouldn't. I hope all will be well as I will fret now. Perhaps all will be well. I'll keep my fingers crossed and look forward to a good read. cheers all. Back to my bread making.
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi Lez,

I've bought many books from Amazon with no trouble at all. Down at the bottom of your screen when on the secure sites you can see a padlock. But you possibly know that. If you didn't it is the first time that I've ever been able to tell anyone anything about a computer (being a dinosaur too).
Regards, Gerry.
bunuel
KG Regular

As with Gerry I have used Amazon for years now without any problems whatsoever. They are a very reliable online merchant and have been around for years now, so fret no more.

On top of this, if you are concerned just make sure you use a credit card and check your bill to ensure that it hasn't fallen in the wrong hands. If there is a payment that you are not certain about the credit card companies will block it and investigate without any penalties for you.

As gerry said when you are making purchases online look out for a padlock (next to the address bar on Internet Explorer bottom right for FIrefox). A closed padlock ensures that the connection between your computer and the vendor's computer is encrypted and secure.

As an aside, please share your thoughts on the book as I am always on the look out for new vegetable gardening books.

cheers,

Fraser
A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins - Laurie Colwin

http://hundred-metre-diet.blogspot.com/
Geoff
KG Regular

You need a good setup of antivirus / antispyware / antimalware software. Some packages encrypt your keystrokes.
You need to make sure Microsoft Update is operational.
I can't remember how but you can register your credit card with something that I think is called VeriSign so you get a secondary prompt for your online banking password when you do a transaction.
My bank also provides foc a package called Rapport that gives further protection.
But if you stick with the big players like Amazon you are unlikely to have a problem.
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Hi Geoff,

The Verisign / 3DSecure system is run by the banks directly. If you are using your card online for the first time, it should prompt for a few security questions and ask you to provide an online pin/password to helpsecure your online buying.

As also stated, make sure the site has a padlock in the bottom corner - although this does not need to be present until the page you actually are going to enter personal details in (Some shops run the main area on a normal site, but the accounts section / payment will be secure)

Another good pointer - and this applies to smaller sites more - is to see if there is clear contact information, terms and company details present.
UK law requires online companies to show their business address, company no and VAT no.

Just look at the pages from our secure subscription site https://mortons-secure.com for an example.
(see the footer on every page)

Virtually all credit cards offer online payment protection - so if you are unsure - use a Credit card rather than your bank card - which often do not offer the same level of protection.

You can also get a pre-paid credit card - although these are expensive to run.

KGAdmin
Tigger
KG Regular

One of the best internet shopping sites I have used is John Lewis. I ordered an Ipod for Lyndon at 10.45 on a Sunday night and it arrived at 9.15am the following morning. It was £10 cheaper than anywhere else too. Now that's a good service!
lez
KG Regular

Thanks all I am pleased that someone can recommend and have used amazon. I did not know about the padlock thing so do not know if one isthere or not. I will have a look next time as my faith and trust grow. cheers all and have a good seasons growing
John
KG Regular

Hello Lez
I've used Amazon lots of times and must say I've found it one of the best and safest online sites.
You are very right to be concerned about buying online though. Despite all the checks mentioned above and a PC groaning with all the recommended security stuff we have had cards from two different banks misused recently after making online purchases. One attempt was blocked by the bank but the other misuse for some wine went through. When I got in touch with the wine company they told me that they couldn't give me any details about the fraud as it infringed the Data Protection Act!!!!!!! Seems more like a Crooks Protection Act to me. From talking to the bank security people it seems that whatever precautions you take it all rests on the honesty (or not) of staff at the other end in the online site. The bank has fortunately made a full refund.

The only other recommendation I would add to what's already been said is that you should register with your bank for online banking, if you don't already use it. Even if you don't use any of the facilities the big advantage is that you can check your account at any time from your PC. This was how we picked up this card fraud.

John

PS Don't let our experience put you off. Its all very convenient and there are good prices out there. Keep your guard up all the time and be very wary of anything that appears even slightly dodgy or strange when buying.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
lez
KG Regular

good news got home yesterday and my books were there. all in good nick and undamaged. brilliant. :D it has given me a bit more faith in the internet. I will use it again now and look out for the lock thing on the page. I will follow advice and check my credit card at the end of the month or when ever they send the account as I never use it normally being old fashioned to a point I suppose I try to use cash still if I possibly can and a debit card so I don't get into debt as I can be an impulse buyer and have regretted it with some puchases that seemed a good idea at the time. :oops: anyway cheers all and good luck in the new season.
KGAdmin
Site Admin

HI Lez,

Glad it went well. If you're feeling confident, why not subscribe to Kitchen Garden on our secure site? :)
If you are already a subscriber, you can view your order and renew secure online now too!

New subscriptions: https://mortons-secure.com/magviewer.asp?title=kg

Renewals: https://mortons-secure.com/renewals/index.asp?title=kg

In both areas you can buy KG binders too!

OK, that's enough plugging from me :)

KGAdmin
lez
KG Regular

KG Admin. I will be getting a subscription but I'm waiting for an offer to accompany it that I will be interested in and use. :D I keep looking but binders are of no good as I always move my copy of kg on to friends. :D
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Heheh Crafty Lez! Well we do have offers on occasionally, not heard of anything coming up just yet though. Still you can buy a single issue online anytime post-free :)

https://mortons-secure.com/single.asp?title=kg

Amazing how I managed to get *that* plug in without being noticed :)

KGAdmin
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well i treated it with the contempt it deserved. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
lez
KG Regular

got to admire his/her trying. :D I will be watching and reading. I buy KG in the local shop and feel I may be helping the local shops stay in the black. So good offer for mag delivered free if you live in the sticks but it's to easy here as all the shops stock and I must admit looking for the mag gives me chance to have a mooch about :lol: . nice to feel wanted though. :)
Primrose
KG Regular

Well I must confess that the three freebie potato planter bags I received for renewing my subscription a year ago have come in very useful. They are now filled with compost and I have some very healthy green shoots peeking out of the top of the bag. As I've never grown potatoes before (apart from oldies thrown out on the compost heap) I'm looking forward to gathering my crop in due course. Can't believe how quickly they've grown. I've had to top up the compost level every couple of days. think it must be because the sun penetrates the material and really heats up the compost inside.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic