tyres on allotments

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

macmac
KG Regular

we have a problem on our allotment site as a plot has been vacated leaving some 40/50 tyres,no one on the committee can find an easy economical way of disposing of them,any suggestions?
we have no wish to use them on site so removing is the only option. :?
sanity is overrated
peter
KG Regular

Is it a council site?
if so get the council to remove them as "debris left by a previous tenant". :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
bazza1979
KG Regular

i saw on grand designs recently a couple built a house with a load of tyres, i'm not suggesting that but maybe u could build a low wall somewhere with them and fill them with herbs, for all the allotments guys and girls?
macmac
KG Regular

we are self managed now and responsability lies with us.
we really want to remove them despite there being some inventive uses for them. p.s.just discovered this forum and its really useful :D
sanity is overrated
John
KG Regular

Have you tried your local tyre fitters? They will probably take them if you can deliver. They do have a use as they are recycled and their carbon content used to make new tyres. Otherwise I suppose you'll have to take them a few at a time to the local tip. Don't take too many at once otherwise they will think you're 'trade' and charge you.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi John,
Last week I had two new tyres and the tyre company wanted £1.25 per tyre for disposal.
I use tyres for holding down sheets of polythene so I brought them home.
Tyres can also be used, when stacked up, for growing all manner of things. Locally they are used to grow early spuds and carrots and also for flowers.
JB.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Seem to recall a French firm were shredding them and incorporating them with macadam for resurfacing the road's though a bit dearer would at least not become an eyesore on the landscape.
chicken4
KG Regular

Last year we had a similar problem on our site. Some guy had over 50.

We listed them on our local freecycle. We'll we ended up with more request for them than we had tyres. Within three days all the tyres had gone.

Try it, lots of people want to try growing tatties in them
Try to be organic, but finding it hard
macmac
KG Regular

thanks chicken4 for the freecycle suggestion :) we are going to try that and will let you know how we get on. we're only a few miles away from you in w.s.m so fingers crossed
sanity is overrated
chicken4
KG Regular

macmac wrote:thanks chicken4 for the freecycle suggestion :) we are going to try that and will let you know how we get on. we're only a few miles away from you in w.s.m so fingers crossed

Our favourite fish & chip shop is in WSM :D . We have fish,chips,baked beans, bread & butter and a mug of tea. I love cooking but I have to say it is a really treat when we take the children to Westen.

I'm sure you'll get rid of them
macmac
KG Regular

alas little or no response from freecycle and what we thought was 50 tyres turns out to be 70 plus uncovered as the new plotholder has cleared his patch.
our chairman has bitten the bullet and arranged for their removal at £1+vat per tyre... no small sum and i'm sure it could have been better spent but there is no other alternative.
so beware allotment holders if your neighbour starts bringing things on to his plot if he ups and leaves its you and your members who end up paying for it.
moaning over my carrots are up!
and thanks to everyone for their help :
sanity is overrated
chicken4
KG Regular

Oh no that it a real pain.

Although we did rid of the tyres on our site we are having trouble clearing a site 9two plots next to each other that a chap had for 40 years he planted thick trees in most of it. It's being cleared now and I can't tell you the rubbish and polluting paints etc we've found. So far three skips have been filled and I'm sure we will need some more.

I can completly understand why some sites say no carpet etc has someone has to get rid off the stuff. Skips cost money and tyres too!
macmac
KG Regular

Just to update you chicken 4 tyres were removed yesterday £148...
just think of how the money could have been better spent.
p.s.next time you come to weston have a look at the big wheel on the seafront.the grandchildren had a go with their other nan(cowards my middle name)and they loved it. :) :)
sanity is overrated
chicken4
KG Regular

macmac wrote:Just to update you chicken 4 tyres were removed yesterday £148...
just think of how the money could have been better spent.
p.s.next time you come to weston have a look at the big wheel on the seafront.the grandchildren had a go with their other nan(cowards my middle name)and they loved it. :) :)

OMG £148 :(

I guess we were really lucky getting rid of the tyres on our site are you going to ban them from the site as I might mention your situation at our next AGM. Our site is doing well at the moment as all the plots are taken and being looked after.
macmac
KG Regular

hi chicken 4 they are trying to ban tyres but meeting some resistance.we are self managed which i think creates some personal confrontation.complaining to the council seemed so much easier.that said our commitee are great and do such a lot of good work though they can be a little slow to change,chasing people on un/badly worked plots is a very slow process and with 50 on our waiting list i think it should be a priority.do you have similar problems?
sanity is overrated
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic