PM inboxes filling up

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin_M
KG Regular

Dear Mr & Mrs Administrator,

is any special action needed by us to keep our mailboxes under control? For example, clearing out old messages, filing them somewhere etc?

I got some mail today which it said it couldn't process until I >inserrt technical jargon here< followed by "if sufficient space is available". I clicked the link several times but it did nothing.

I then deleted 5 messages and clicked the "fix it" link again. At that point, 2 new messages were displayed.

This implies that other people might hit the same problem (guess they already have, since I receive only small amounts of PMs). If I've failed to RTM, please accept my apologies. However you should note that the message users get isn't very intuitive. Not only that, the option to delete messages isn't visible on the screen by default - I had to click a number of drop down lists before it appeared.
Chantal
KG Regular

If you look at the top of the messages list it will say ***% full. When it hits 100% full, you MUST clear them out.

All the boxes are the same (In, Sent etc) and should regularly be cleared out. There is a Save box for those you want to keep.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
KGAdmin
Site Admin

The current limit is 50 messages. This limit helps keep the database running the forum a decent size - and keeps the site quick.
The new forum layout does have some additional options, but once you find the delete options (bottom left of list) it's easy to do.

KGAdmin
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Is the delete button the export button, if not i can't see one and if it is what do the three options mean?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

First tick the the box just to the right of EACH of the PM's you want to get rid of.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Select the drop-down containing "Mark/Unmark as important." , the solid V to the right of it.
Pick "Delete marked."
Finally click the "Go" button just to the right of "Delete marked"

As you have a limit on both In and Sent items, to do a proper job go to the top left of the page click on "Sent Messages" and repeat the above process. :D
Last edited by peter on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't know me left from me right. ;-)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Peter, thankyou for your help, i can now accept even more thrilling P.Ms. :)

At this rate you will be challenging me for Chief Spuds job when it comes up. :wink:

Tigger
KG Regular

Lord help us. :roll:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It's alright Tigger, i don't think Peter would get the job above me.

Hope this reassures you a little. :wink:

KGAdmin
Site Admin

reprinted from a thread further down:

This was to empty your sent messages folder, but can be used on INBOX too :)

If you click on the "0 new messages" text in the top bar, you'll see your messages centre.

Click on 'Sent messages' in the left hand menu (about half way down)

Now you'll see a list of messages. Click the tick box to the right of each message you want deleting - or go to the bottom of the page and click 'Mark all' to select them all.

Just under the last message on the right is a pull down menu the current says 'Marl/Unmark as important' - click on this and select 'Delete Marked' - and click go.

KGAdmin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic