Gardening Clubs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

AnneThomas
KG Regular

Hi All

Does anyone know whether there are any such things as gardening clubs for older people - or something similar for people who want to visit gardens. Just looking for ideas for my mother who is recently bereaved and who lives 400 miles away from me. She is trying to get herself out a bit and I know she enjoys visiting gardens - and doing her own although she doesn't grow veg - sorry she did pinch a couple of seedlings of my peas and beans last year to grow in pots, does grow a few tomatoes and has a few fruit bushes. I was just thinking she could do with a regular thing, eg monthly, where she could get together with a like-minded group and go and visit somewhere different. I want to try and find something similar for walking - the rambling club doesn't really cater for older folk IMHO. I might check with her local library but just wondered if anyone had come across anything.
Thanks
Anne
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Anne, i don't know if there is a large garden centre near your Mum, but sometimes these have good gardening clubs, that are often attented by largely retired people. Although a mix of ages isn't always a bad thing.

Would she enjoy being a member of the W.I, the ladies in our local branch always seem to be up to something, whether it's talks or trips.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
AnneThomas
KG Regular

Thank you oldherbaceous! The gardening centre idea is a good one - I hadn't thought of that. And I agree a mix of ages is better. There are one or two around which I will check with.

I have mentioned the WI but she didn't seem all that keen. I think it would be ideal as she enjoys a wide range of things such as crafts, cookery, gardening, walking etc. I haven't quite worked out whether its that she isn't keen on the WI or still not quite plucked up the courage to go to new things. She is a member of Yorkshire Ladies so they do organise a few things. Just trying to think of new ideas for her.

Anne
Binky
KG Regular

U3A does lots of things, including Gardening Clubs. Just Google it and on their website you will find what there is available in your mother's area.
AnneThomas
KG Regular

Thank you Binky. I have been off and checked this out immediately and after an initial disappointment which seemed to suggest there was nothing near my mum, I have found a local group which offers loads of things. Especially walks of the right distance. It looks brilliant for her. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Anne
garden_serf
KG Regular

WOW, I just looked. The U3A for my area does loads!!
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
Di
KG Regular

My Mum and Dad used to go on some of the trips organised by the National Trust - not cheap but they were well organised and they said that everyone was very friendly and made a point of talking to anyone there on their own.
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Anne,

she may want to contact her local branch of Age Concern. I have recently contacted them on behalf of my mum and they have a surprising number of activities arranged - everything from yoga to lunch clubs. Even if they don't organise activities themselves, they are very well connected and probably know of a group that does have garden based trips, if there is one local to her.

Best wishes,
Vivien
Primrose
KG Regular

The other organisation worth checking (apart from U3A) is the National Trust. They have quite a lot of local groups with regular monthly meetings and outings to gardens, historic houses, etc. Their website might lead you to information available in your mother's local area.
AnneThomas
KG Regular

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I emailed my Mum about U3A and she said she had heard of it as some of her friends were members - of a different group to the one I emailed the details. She is just nervous of making the first moves out on her own really - but she'll get there. She could join the same group as her friends which would be easy, but I think she is quite keen on joining a different group. She certainly liked the look of everything that went on.

I have thought about the National Trust with a view to buying her membership for Mother's Day, but most of the properties are quite a distance from her. Whilst she can drive she doesn't like going too far. However I will check out the site and see what I can find.

Thanks for the tip re Age Concern - I hadn't thought about that and will bear that in mind, although I think if she jumps in with U3A she may have enough to be going on with.

Thanks again to everyone.
Anne
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic