Are oranges sprayed ?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

Sorry only just seen this post. I had some oranges in my fruit basket from our holiday in November and last week :shock: threw them out because they had dried up. For some reason we had not got round to eating them and I had not noticed them drying up. They did not go mushy just dry. Some tangerines I bought from Morrisons last week and which were in date, this morning three had gone to mush :shock: So dont know what is on the tangerines if anything. They did not keep.

Bye the way I like both makes of cider :D :D
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I try to buy organic oranges if I intend to use the peel. I give all fruit a good scrub anyway before using it whether it is organic or not - you never know who has handled it, or what has been sprayed on it. My mother used to say "the people who picked it might not have washed their hands after going to the toilet" which rather instilled the habit of cleanliness regarding everything in the kitchen.

I also think that if fruit has been sprayed with pesticides while growing and then is coated with wax it will have been sealed onto the fruit. I know it is only in very small amounts, but I don't like the idea of eating it.
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding. I was also brought up with the rule that you always washed fruit before eating or using it. I also carry that on to meat and always wash meat before cooking with it, the only one that can't be washed is mince. :( But everything else gets rinsed and dried before use. My OH thinks I am made because he reasons that it is going to be cooked and that will kill all the germs. Dont care still do it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic