Thinking of starting a mini-orchard...

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Magic Beans
KG Regular

Hello again oh oracles of the Kitchen Garden...

I've just seen a set of three fruit trees on the Kitchen Garden Shop and it has got me thinking.

With the intended vegetable plot at the bottom of the garden comes the opportunity to plant a few fruit trees (something I have wanted to do for quite some time).

Now do you folk have any good advice to give on planting these three fruit trees and giving them the best start...

The trees are: Cherry Stella, Plum Victoria and Apple Braeburn.

I am thinking of planting them along the boundary with our next door neighbours so that they can share the (hopefully) rich produce. The neighbours too are interested in all things home grown, thankfully.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Cheers,

Magic Beans

Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an English Snail!

www.kitchengardenshop.co.uk
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Magic Beans, make sure when you plant any fruit tree on a grafted rootstock, that the union where it has been grafted is well above the soil level.
You should be able to see the level it was planted at before it was dug up, plant at the same depth.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Tigger
KG Regular

My advice would be to plant low or dwarf stock, unless you're in your 20's. That way you'll be able to reach future crops without a ladder or a spell in hospital.
Magic Beans
KG Regular

Tigger wrote:My advice would be to plant low or dwarf stock, unless you're in your 20's. That way you'll be able to reach future crops without a ladder or a spell in hospital.

Good advice Tigger... in my early thirties and reasonably safe teetering on a ladder. But dwarf varieties would ensure that the trees wouldn't get too big to manage, I guess.

Will do my best to avoid trips to the hospital for the time being...
Cheers,

Magic Beans

Magic Beans
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:... where it has been grafted is well above the soil level.
You should be able to see the level it was planted at before it was dug up...

Had not even thought of grafted rootstock. I really do have a lot to learn about this gardening lark. Thanks Oldherbacious.
Cheers,

Magic Beans

Mole
KG Regular

Hello. Quick site visit from an old member! :D

I prune (and plant/care for) Apple and other fruit trees for a living - gardens and Orchards. up to a thousand each year.

Do more research about varieties and rootstocks! Otherwise you are in for disappointment! The trees will get too big/may be unsuitable varieties.

Braeburn? Not much info yet for this country - not a proven variety

Cherry? Will need plenty of space on 'Colt' Rootstock (even on Gisela) - will be tall and need netting to protect fruit from birds.

Victoria Plum - ok but will also need space. Check rootstock.

My advice? - get known disease resistant varieties - Apples - spur bearer such as Egremont russet/Sunset etc. Grow apples/pears as cordons/espaliers if they are on a boundary - learn the pruning/training techniques - not hard.
Get plums on pixy rootstock and cherries (if you must!) on gisela. Festoon them (look it up).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic