cherry tomatoes

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Granny
KG Regular

For various reasons, this year I've got far too many cherry tomatoes. As well as giving them away, what else can I do with them? I feel there's a bit too much skin per tomato for sauces, or doesn't that matter? Any ideas?
---------------
Granny
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I put mine through a vegetable mouli and that removes the skin and seeds if you use the finest grater disk. It is excellent for soups, sauces etc.

While on the subject of tomatoes, I keep seeing recipes asking for "sun blush" tomatoes.

What on earth is a sun blush tomato? Is this supermarket speak, or an Americanism. I've never heard of a variety called Sun Blush. Could it be that they have been grown, heaven forbid, actually in the sun?
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks, plumpudding - i'll try that.

Sunblush tomatoes are the semi-dried ones you get in delis and supermarkets. They're still soggy and have olive oil and herbs. Don't know if it's an americanism but when we lived in Oz a few years ago that's what they were called there.

It's quite straightforward to do them in the oven. It takes several hours but you only have to check them from time to time. Let me know if you'd like a method/recipe.
-------------
Granny
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks Granny for clearing up what sun blush is. There are quite a few articles on drying fruit and veg in the magazines at the moment aren't there. How long do you leave them in the oven to half-dry them? I'd like to give it a try if you can post your recipe please.
Primrose
KG Regular

Granny, I'm one of those people who can never have too many cherry tomatoes but have never been in your fortunate position of having too many. If I did I'd just freeze them whole, thaw and cook them with a little olive oil. Add a tablespoon of water to make the juice run and simply mop up with lots of toast or serve with some nice crispy bacon.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
Now that you have me salivating I suppose it's going to have to be tomatoes on toast for lunch!
I was undecided as to what to have so thank you for making up my mind.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

Sometimes the simple things are the best!
kranser
KG Regular

...or you could always leave some to ripen, but pick some green ones and fry them with olive oil and have them on fried bread (fried with olive oil)!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic