yellow leaves with black spots on potatoes

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bonjean
KG Regular

Can anybody tell me what this could be on my Charlottes.
I planted two rows end of April, one row is fine but 3/4 of the other row have started developing yellow leaves with small black spots.
Also I have no flowers yet, but have already pulled up some nice spuds - is this normal?
hilary
KG Regular

Hi Bonjean,
My Kestrel have done the same and so have the Charlottes next to them. I thought it may be the start of the dreaded blight but since the potatoes were a good size I cut off the haulms (just in case) to prevent any spores going into the soil and will dig them later. I decided that since the leaves were yellow they wouldn't be giving much to the plant so may as well remove them.
The other varieties next to them ie Sarpo mira etc are doing fine.
Hope this helps -I don't know if anyone else can offer any advice. Johnboy???
Regards
Hilary
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Hilary and Bonjean,
What you describe could well be the onset of blight but it is time that Charlotte's are harvested and this could just well be the plants dying back quite naturally. But just as a precautionary move I think that because it is time to harvest I should do so and burn all the haulm and make sure that no very small spuds are left in the ground.
Do not compost anything but burn all waste
material.
JB.
david71
KG Regular

having cut off the tops is it necessary to wait for any length of time before lifting the potatoes?
david71
Geoff
KG Regular

My Charlottes did exactly that, I think it is just end of life. There were no mushy stems or horrible smell. I dug all mine and there were no damaged tubers either. As I was convinced there was no blight I have composted the tops with some comfrey and grass clippings and they are getting well cooked. I would clear them in one go i.e. clear the tops then dig the spuds.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi David,
Having cut the haulm off the spuds will not grow any further and they are open to attack by Keeled Slugs so it is best to harvest ASAP.
JB.
david71
KG Regular

Thank you Johnboy I will start to lift today.
With regard to slug damage, have you any information on slug resistant varieties?
david71
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Potato foilage.

With the exception of Rooster and Pink Fir Apple all the foilage has almost died down now, this is much earlier than other years!
I have been keeping an eagle eye out for the dreaded blight, but would appear to have missed it this year!
Those potatoes that I have already dug have been very clean!
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
bonjean
KG Regular

Thanks for all the replies.

I am in south central France (1st year here) and I have also noticed that potatoes seem to be finished a lot earlier this year.

My Charlottes were ready in 90-odd days and the Roseval didnt take much longer. Pink Fir Apples look ready in about 110 days.

I ended up doing what everyone else has done and cut off the tops and lifted the tubers which were in perfect condition. I guess I was just suprised by how quickly they were ready.

On a different subject, does anyone have any suggestions for potatoes to grow at 750m above sea level? I have been told that I shouldnt have tried charlottes as they are too sensitive but mine seem ok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic