Alaskan Fancy tomato

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Granny
KG Regular

I don't know if this is the right place for this so please move it if necessary.

I have an unheated greenhouse. I sowed various tomato seeds in a propagator in the house in the first week of March then moved them to the greenhouse when I repotted them. The Alaskan Fancy (Plants of Distinction) are the first to be ready to eat by quite a long way. We ate the first last week. The Tigerella which were the first last year, are still green and so are the 2 cherry varieties.
They are a smallish plum, (5cmx4cm) with a good flavour and heavy cropping.
They were advertised as early ripening and able to withstand lower temperatures. They certainly did that as my greenhouse got very low at times and I feared I would lose the lot.

Has anyone else tried them or got recommendations for early maturing tomatoes?
------------------
Granny
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Early Cascade was my first this year. The seeds were from a seed swap originally and are a bit variable, but a good size and flavour. There are others with better flavour, but not so early. The second is the Garden Pearl, a good one for growing in pots as an ornamental, nice pinky red, very prolific and cherry size tomatoes - good flavour - better after a bit of sunshine.

I've also grown Sub-arctic Plenty which is supposed to grow well in cool conditions and they are small plants with large cherry sized fruits and these are almost ready - maybe tomorrow with a bit of luck.

I sowed them all quite late this year - second week in March in a propagator and then in part of the greenhouse with a heater to keep the temperature above freezing, but nothing more and then into the border in the unheated part from mid April with fleece over them on cold nights.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic