Allotments on TV

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

GIULIA
KG Regular

As I mentioned on a previous thread, our allotment site is among several to take part in filming for a pilot episode of what we hope will be a new TV series following a year on allotment sites. This is real gardeners and real plots, who grows what, why and how.
I've suggested the producer has a look at this forum for inspiration. So please use this thread to offer your comments and suggestions about what real allotmenteers want from such a series and what, in your opinion, makes entertaining and informative gardening TV. Thanks.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Giulia, just a couple of thoughts.

Try and cater for begginers and the more experienced gardener, not easy i know.

Hope you have a few characters on the allotments. People can really relate to these kind of people and they always seem to come across well, especially if you have two that you can film at the same time.
A bit like Christine and Reg on that gardening programme that was on T.V the other year.
They really did work together well.

Show successes as well as failures, just to show the highs and the lows of gardening.

Try to incorporate different growng techniques, to show that there is more than one way to do something, but still get a good end result.

What have you got in your shed, could turn up all sorts of talking points.

How has it changed peoples lives having an allotment.

Is there much camaraderie on the sight and has this changed peoples lives off he site as well.

Well that was more than a couple of thoughts i know, but i hope they might be of a little help.

Actually, would you like me to put the whole thing together for you. :wink: :lol:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
richard p
KG Regular

the problem with most programs is you get some person regurgitating what they or the researchers have read in a book, which in itself was probably reitterating what was writtem by someone else years before, repeated often enough even the daftest advice becomes lore. last time on gw there was a presenter waffling on about how to handle seedlings whilst transplanting, quite frankly it looked like she'd never seen one before she was "firming" the compost by poking 2 or three times it with a flimsy plastic wand.
we really need experienced gardeners doing things the way that works for them. even if the "experts" say they are doing it wrong.
perhaps two gardeners doing the same job their own individual ways and each telling the other why what they are doing is wrong .
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Hello

I remember watching something,some years ago about allotments, from Liverpool I think.

The TV camera's arrived every so often to film thoughout the growing season.

But no one taking part was allowed to harvest anything until the TV crew had finished filming at the end of the season.

I remember perfectly filled rows of cabbage and everything else, very nice it looked too!

It looked so good that my wife said to me : how come your's never looks like that! . .Her! being a non gardener does not have a clue about harvesting crops when needed, and that leaves gaps.

It was explained at the end that the allotments holders taking part had been paid not to take any crops out, before the end of the series!
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
GIULIA
KG Regular

Dear Old H,
I love 'what have you got in your shed' as a line of enquiry. Lordy! Lots of kettles and gas rings, lots of rat droppings, erm, ancient and forgotten bottles of stuff I never use, erm, bits of string that I will never use again all rolled up nicely. Erm, a neat row of Asda's cereal boxes labelled with things like 'dried blood' which looks a bit yukky to non-gardners doesn' it?
erm... a robin's nest (aah!) so I'm creeping in and out for me fork very quietly at the moment!
etc. etc.

Giulia x
Di
KG Regular

Some discussion of how to fit the allotment in with the rest of your life. Just as a way to help people succeed and not be put off in the first year.

Perhaps explored by asking a whole range of allotmenteers:

How much time does it take,

Tips for time/labour saving,

shared and group allotments

Which crops will cope with a visit every 10 days (spuds and carrots?) and which will need regular visits.

Which crops are most rewarding.

and what they enjoy most about having an allotment.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic