Roma vs San Marzano Tomatoes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pigletwillie
KG Regular

Both of these varieties are new to me, never having had the space before to grow any other than eating types, which variety is best for passata.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Angi
KG Regular

I've grown both varieties in the past and didn't notice much difference in the kitchen. However I did notice that the San Marzano suffered more from blossom end rot, so I'd go with the Roma, as they don't mind the odd bit of drought!
lizzie
KG Regular

Roma Piglet, every time. Absolutly yummy grilled with a little sugar or stuffed
Lots of love

Lizzie
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, I agree with Lizzie - go for Roma, my only reservation is they can be very late in ripening and you may end up with a mountain of green toms to ripen off.

Try also the Roma cherry - they keep for weeks in a bowl in the kitchen and ripen much earlier.
seed from Plants of Distinction. Tel: 01449 721720
www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk

Beryl.
Tigger
KG Regular

Both are good - Roma are easier.
Carole B.
KG Regular

I've grown both and I prefer San Marzano,it seems to be fleshier and it held off blight for longer when grown outdoors,the Roma collapsed very quickly when it struck last year(except for 1 plant which kept going past all other varieties,and yes,I am saving seed from it!). San Marzano made very good tomato ketchup.
Carole.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Pigletwillie,
I have grown both SM and Roma and I can agree with the others. Sm is prone to B.E.R and Roma is less able to deal with blight. So if you can predict the weather for this summer Roma should be grown in very hot dry conditions and SM in dull and damp conditions.
Grow some of each and hedge your bets and put the Roma in the best spot and the SM in the less favoured spot. The seeds are not F1's so they are not that expensive; you get lots in the packets and they will last for two or three years if kept cold and dry, so blow the budget and get both!
Regards Sally Wright.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Thanks all,

I have bought both from "seeds of Italy" and have just pricked out a bundle of each for the polytunnel. As there are too many for the tunnel, are they ok outside. The plot is shelterd and is in a sunny (arff) open aspect?
Kindest regards Piglet

Jenny Green
KG Regular

No, sorry, not safe outside until all risk of frost has passed, which will vary according to your area. Also, tomatoes don't appreciate getting cold at all. So make some room and get them back in if you want to keep them!
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Jenny,

dont worry they are all safely in a heated greenhouse. I meant are they ok outside after the frosts which is probably the end of May here in Leicestershire.
Kindest regards Piglet

Chantal
KG Regular

Piglet, I grew Roma very successfully both in the greenhouse and on the lottie and I am planning to do the same with San Marzano this year. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Thats what I want to hear as I have them growing everywhere at the moment, far to many just for the tunnel
Kindest regards Piglet

darren c
KG Regular

I have grown both with the San Maz 2 from Seeds of Italy being the larger of the two with extra fruits on the trusses. Try Costoluto Fiorentino from Seeds of Italy they are a nice fleshy tom.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Piglet

Have grown Costoluto Fiorentino every year and they are great. They do have a tendency to split at the sides of the fruit but they are lovely and fleshy with a nice flavour. They can get to some huge sizes if treated right.

Nice grilled and also as a round cooking tom. Not the most good looking of the tomato world but still well tasty.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic