Brightening up Cottage Cheese

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Does anybody have some really interesting ideas to "zing up" plain cottage cheese? Am trying to shed a few pounds and am reluctantly reducing my favourite Mature Cheddar intake. Thanks.
Malk
KG Regular

In the States people eat it stuffed into a tomato or with slices of tinned mandarines or pineapple in it, none of which ever appealed to me. I like it plain.
Welcome to Finland!!
Alison
KG Regular

Does it have to be cheese? One low-calorie alternative I was offered was a spread made from dried beans and lentils - mostly red kidney beans, as I recall. I presume the beans were soaked and cooked, and then mixed and roughly pureed with chopped cooked onion and other flavourings. It was really very nice and practically no fat. You could eat it as a dip or spread on things.

Alternatively, there are other cheeses which are much lower in fat, aren't there, such as Mozzarella and I think some of the Gouda varieties.

Alison
Beryl
KG Regular

Why give up your favourtie cheddar?

I find if I buy a good strong flavoured cheese (always taste before buying) and grate it. It will freeze well or keep it in the fridge.
I use far less this way and it can be used for just about everything except maybe cheese and biscuits.

Beryl.
Franksmum
KG Regular

Just add stuff to cottage cheese. I like it plain personally but you can add chilli, chopped herbs, crushed pepper and anything else you want to.

Try draining & rinsing a small can of butterbeans - stick in a blender with lemon juice, garlic if wanted, coriander and some pepper - makes a delicious spread or dip.
Colin_M
KG Regular

I enjoy cottage cheese with some lime pickle.

You can buy quite a strong-tasting indian version of this quite easily. I'm lucky enough to have a daughter who's a wizz at Indian cookery. Her Lime pickle is light, subtle and divine :)

Recipies available on request.

Colin
tricia
KG Regular

I eat half a 200g tub of cottage cheese for breakfast with half a kiwi or pear sliced into it. If you like it sweeter just add a spoonful of Splenda or other sweetener.
Tricia
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

A few chopped chives from the garden, or spring onions, whichever in season.

Also very nice with chopped walnuts, celerery, peanuts, manderin segments. Yes together! Remember, unsalted nuts are not that fattening and are very good for you!

Goes a treat with smoked salmon on crispbread!
or
Mix with prawns and homemade salsa, remeber to add some chilli!
My only prejudice is prejudice
helixdesign
KG Regular

I add any of the following to Cottage cheese: horseraddish sauce, tartare sauce, marmite, hummus or chives and a recent one is piccallili.
Granny
KG Regular

Try Old El Paso salsa from the Mexican section of the supermarket. It comes in different strengths and is a very zingy relish. I like it spread on cottage cheese on Ryvita.
-----------------
Granny
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You lot aren't pregnant are you. :shock: :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Granny
KG Regular

No, OH. In my case just old with withering tastebuds!
--------------------
Granny
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for all your suggestions. Haven't lost a pound but now feel I'm suffering from cottage cheese poisoning! I would switch to my favourite tomato salads if only the wretched fruit would ripen before it all collapses with blight.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic