Leeks

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

Morning peeps

Do you think it is too late for me to sow leeks now, or might I get away with it?

Can anyone advise please

Thanks
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And a good morning to you dear Lizzie, it really is very late to be sowing leek seed, if we get a favourable winter you might get some small but very late leeks.
I planted 250 leeks out yesterday, just to cheer you up, and i must say they were first class leeks. :twisted: :wink:

You might be better off waving those small lady like hands at some of the other plot holders, and see if they have any spare plants. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
John
KG Regular

Hello Lizzie
Well, I hate to disagree with OH but I'd give it a go. If you choose a suitable variety, e.g. late maturing and winter hardy and sow these in modules you might get away with it. You will only get 'pencil' leeks (thick as your finger) but these are a real treat - we much prefer them to the ordinary thick leeks. There are some varieties sold specifically for this type of production. I'm using 'Varna' this year. They can be planted out close together so don't take up much room.

Leek growth is vegetative (they don't have to reach a mature stage) so if we get a mild autumn and winter they will just keep on growing and you'll get a good crop.
Hope this helps - give it a try!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie,
I second John's posting. If you don't try you will never succeed!
The very best of luck!!
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear John, i think you have agreed with what i have said, haven't you. :?
I did say if we get a favourable winter you might get some small but very late leeks. :)

Or did you mean to write, i hate to agree with..... :shock: :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic