Cooking Red Duke of York

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Granny
KG Regular

I've grown these for the first time this year after reading recommendations on this forum. I find it very difficult boiling them now they have grown bigger and are too big to cook whole. However gently I boil them the skin breaks away from the potato taking a thin layer of potato with it, and they seem to go from not quite ready to overcooked in seconds! I've been boiling potatoes for a good number of years now and have never had this problem before. Any tips on how to get better results?
Talk about teaching your grandmother to suck eggs!
-------------
Granny
Chantal
KG Regular

You could try steaming them. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Granny,
I agree with Chantal about steaming. I no longer boil Spuds, cabbage including Broccoli, Parsnip or Carrots. I also steamed Asparagus this year and I swear the taste is enhanced and certainly much easier to handle.
JB.
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks Chantal and JB, I've never steamed potatoes but will start now.
-------------
Granny
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

I found the skins still came off when I steamed them last year which is why I decided against growing them this year. Hope you have better luck
Gardeners Delight
KG Regular

i grew them last year & had the same problem when cooking them even when steaming
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Biggerplant,
I think that you have tried to steam your spuds too rapidly and steaming should be a slow process.
When I steam I get the water to boiling then turn the heat down until it is just producing steam and let it get on with it. I will not try to say that I have never had things go wrong but when it has it has been because I have had the heat too high.
JB.
Tigger
KG Regular

I love Duke of York potatoes. Whether i boil or steam them, or roast in the oven in olive oil, the skins only part company if I cut them in halves/quarters. Leave them whole and they're no trouble.
Last edited by Tigger on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
KG Regular

Hello Granny
I see in Alan Romans' book that larger RDoY are sold as summer bakers by Waitrose. So perhaps that's the answer, larger ones don't boil well and are best used as bakers.

When we have had this sort of problem with other varieties, I have stored them for a few weeks after digging and then the disintegration on cooking problem hasn't been so bad.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks for all replies. It seems like I'll boil/steam small ones and bake the large ones.
---------------
Granny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic