Is Jeyes fluid toxic?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sandy_v
KG Regular

If I scrub down my paving slabs with Jeyes fluid, will it poison the soil/grass and is it safe with chickens about, once it has been rinsed/dried off?
Will it leave residues in the soil that might hurt them later/poison worms etc?

Cheers
Sandy
alan refail
KG Regular

In my experience it poisons worms. It is bad for cats apparently, not sure about chickens. If in doubt, don't use it.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Alan,
Contrary to your comment. Jeyes Fluid used at the correct concentration doe not kill worms.
It is now illegal to use it as a soil sterilant not because it was banned but because the manufacturers decided not to renew the licence for use as a sterilant. We have had this out several times on this forum. Statements that it is illegal to use Jeyes Fluid anywhere which is not true. If you decide to disinfect your greenhouse or tunnel glass and working tops it is perfectly legal but to use it as a soil sterilant is now not legal.
I used to water down the row two weeks before I planted my Carrot seed but now use another method.
I still clean all my used pots in a solution of Jeyes fluid. The pots are immersed in it for 24 hours then removed. The actual physical cleaning is not necessary as the JF kills of anything harmful in or on the pots. I make up around 60 gallons in a 100 gallon container and that does for several fillings of pots. Disposal for me is is awkward as I am not on main drainage but I manage.
Jeyes Fluid has been the nurseryman's saviour for many many years and is still used widely in the industry.
JB.
John
KG Regular

Hello Sandy
I use Jeyes on my chicken house several times a year after a good pressure washing. I spray it inside and out and then leave it to dry off. Best to do it on a warm sunny day. We put straw back in the late afternoon and the hens don't seem to mind. It gives you the dilution to use on the tin.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
alan refail
KG Regular

Point taken, Johnboy. Come to think of it I do use Jeyes on my poultry houses at the start of the season and when dry is perfectly safe. I was more concerned about the question re worms. If used at the concentration for scrubbing paving slabs I reckon it could be a lot more toxic, when wet, than if used (illegally as you say) as a soil sterilant. I don't suggest there is much danger when dried.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
sandy_v
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice.

So, if I use it at the lower concentration, run-off from the slabs shouldn't be a problem. Although if it was previously used for sterilising soil maybe that killed the worms and good things.
gloworm
KG Regular

Is Jeyes fluid toxic?

I hope so, I or else I want my money back .
Vegman
KG Regular

Any doubts about Jeyes Fluid and its use is best taken up with Jeyes customer service. Ive asked them various questions in the past and have been satisfied. Jeyes should not intentionally be sprayed onto green foliage or it may burn. Run off from patios would only effect the very edge of the garden. I disinfect my greenhouse inside using my Superspray hose end sprayer which makes for an easy job, but you just have to be a bit carefull when hosing onto the patio
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Sandy,
I feel that you are using Jeyes Fluid to rid your patio of moss and Algae and if this is the case there is a product that is organic and does a superb job called Algon.
I can highly recommend the following:-
ALGON ORGANIC ALGAE CONTROL.
Kills Algae, Moss and Lichen on Brick, Stone, Concrete and Tarmacadam etc.,
Contact Algon on 01257 262620 to find out where it is obtainable in your area.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic