Storing eggs

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tea-shot
KG Regular

I can't remember whose post it was or if it was just a thread, but I seem to remember someone asking about storing eggs in isinglass. I have been looking through a book from the library by Clarissa Dickson Wright (one of the Two Fat Ladies) and this is what she says about storing a glut of eggs.
'Preserving: Eggs to be preserved whole in the shell should be clean and dry, but do not wash them as the shell is porous and this practise can cause disease. Instead, wipe them with a damp cloth and then a dry one. You can then rub them with buttered paper or liquid paraffin so that all air is excluded and they will keep for six months or longer.
Storing in isinglass: When I was a chil we used to store eggs in isinglass, which can be bought from a good pharmacist. The eggs are layered point down in an earthenware crock or glass jar. You pour over the cooled liquid, ensuring the top layer of eggs is completely submerged, and then cover to keep out bugs and dirt and to prevent evaporation. Eggs stored like this will keep from six months to a year, but they should be used for baking or made dishes as they have a slight taste if boiled or poached and the shells will crack if boiled. After six months the whites go a little thin so they are not really suitable for whipping.'
Hope this helps whoever it was that was wanting info. I'm afraid I tend to get a bit lost while I'm trawling through the postings :oops: :D :oops:
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi tea-shot (Tea's hot :?: )

It was under henhouse lighting in Tools and Machinery

"All I recall about isinglass is that when I was very young (wartime) our eggs were preserved in a large enamel bucket of the stuff. They were foul to eat
Just consulted my wife who had the same experience, and she remembers the resulting eggs being "chalky".
Her advice is to use found eggs for something that does not need very fresh eggs.
If your hens are "laying away" and you remove the eggs they often just go somewhere else you don't find for a while - they can be devious little b*****s A good ploy is to leave an egg or two (marked) so they think the nest is still a good laying place.

By the way, Wikipedia tells me this:

Isinglass is a substance obtained from the swimbladders of fish (especially Beluga sturgeon)

However what was used was waterglass (also known, confusingly, as isinglass) sodium silicate.

If you're still tempted, have look at

http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chi ... /index.php"

As you will have gathered, my advice is "DON'T BOTHER"

Cofion gorau - Best wishes

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic