Greenhouse disaster

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mikepearce45
KG Regular

After standing in the same place for some 35/38 years, the ground under one side of my father's 12' by 8' alluminium greenhouse decided to start moving(presumably a victim of the hot weather last summer)

The result is that apart from a partially collapsed roof, one right angled, corner upright piece of alluminium has sheared off through the lower bolt hole.

Remarkably this appears to be the only non repairable problem with the structure which, after partial dismantling, appears not to have buckled anywhere.

We think that the greenhouse was manufactured by Halls but until the original paperwork has been found(my father is a retired accountant so it will be in his house somewhere) we can only guess.

My request is can anyone please suggest a company that may stock such structural parts for aged, popular greenhouses?
Last edited by mikepearce45 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter
KG Regular

If you have the sheared off bit, try yell or BT.com for metal supliers in your area and see if they stock an extrusion that would do as replacment, or graft on repair section.

Also try local engineering workshops?

Or any greenhouse maker.

I have some bits left over from my 12'x8', make unknown, which was 16'x8' collected, if you can post some photo's from various angles with some dimensions I'll compare. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
mikepearce45
KG Regular

Peter

Many thanks for your reply(at this late hour!)

Good suggestions and thanks for the offer re photos etc

I will start working my way through your suggestions

Thanks again.
Compo
KG Regular

Hi Mike

Have just completed repairing my frame and I used a combination of brackets and nuts and bolts from Wilko to repair the sheared frame, it has worked really and is square enough to receive it's new polycarb glazing, you have a Wilko in WSM I believe, I am not far away, near Bridgwater in fact,

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
mikepearce45
KG Regular

Hi Compo

Many thanks for your suggestion. Work pressures had brought my efforts at finding a solution to a grinding halt, so this will kick start me again!

Thanks again.

Mike
Compo
KG Regular

I got the roof on last week in Polycarb, and siliconed it in, I went up to look after work tongight and despite heavy rain and a drop of wind, it is all still in tact!! So hope to glaze the sides tomorrow and start putting up the staging and who knows I might get to sow some seeds!!!

The weather forecast is not good so hope to get inside it and start work.

Good luck Mike

Compo
Compo
KG Regular

Out of interest, I used self tapping screws and have screwed every single pane of poly carb to the frame, and siliconed it in. Another tip: most builders merchants (I use toolstation because they are based in Bridgwater) (www.toolstation.co.uk), stock steel strapping on a roll (sort of make your own brackets).

I have screwed the ali frame to a 2x2inch timber frame, then placed this frame on concrete blocks.

Next I wrapped the steel strapping around the block going all the way underneath and then screwing it to the wood frame both inside and outside the greenhouse. Bit of an effort, but hopefully it won't blow over this time when the strong winds come.

Watch this space

Compo
mikepearce45
KG Regular

By 'eck Compo, are you a Civil Engineer by any chance? If you are not careful you will find yourself seconded on to the team building the Olympic Stadium!

Hopefully, the repairs to my Dad's greenhouse will not need that much work. It is situated on the side of a slight hill where ground movement has caused one side to drop and slide downhill a couple of inches. On seeing what had happened, we removed all of the glass plus most of the side frame affected to relieve the pressure. No actual buckling to the aluminium frame appears to have occurred but, as originally stated, one corner upright was sheared off across one of the bottom bolt holes. Once I have redone the base I may be able to get away with just re-siting the bolt hole - if not, then that steel strapping sounds well worth exploring. I will have a look at the web site you mentioned.

Your greenhouse now sounds as though it will survive anything that Nature will throw at it - plus more!

Thanks again for your interest and suggestions.

Mike
Compo
KG Regular

I hope so Mike, there are some moderate - strong gusts forecast this week so that will be a good trial of the construction.

compo
gandalf
KG Regular

The only problem with silconing panes in, is if you ever want to replace them or move the greenhouse you are better off skippping it.
Compo
KG Regular

Hope it will last long enough to pay back the hundred quid i paid for the plastic, after that, it owes me nothing as it was originally given to me.

Compo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic