Raised Beds - Type of Wood

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

romney
KG Regular

Hi, about to launch into as near to self-sufficiency as possible with a 2 acre plot. Will be creating numerous raised beds both extrnally and within a Polytunnel. Please can you advise what is the best wood to use with "organic" growing techniques in mind? I am aware on not using creosoted wood, but what about DIY merchants treated external timber for example? Keen to save cost and DIY not buy kits.
Thx.
tea-shot
KG Regular

Don't know if this will help, but we are using old scaffolding boards. We buy them - greatly reduced so haggling skills come in handy - from a local scaffold hire firm, as once they are cracked they can't be used due to health and safety regs. I think the last lot we got did three 4ft x 16ft raised beds and cost us a tenner, including delivery.
romney
KG Regular

tea-shot wrote:Don't know if this will help, but we are using old scaffolding boards. We buy them - greatly reduced so haggling skills come in handy - from a local scaffold hire firm, as once they are cracked they can't be used due to health and safety regs. I think the last lot we got did three 4ft x 16ft raised beds and cost us a tenner, including delivery.
-blimey thats cheap!
:D
tea-shot
KG Regular

It might be cheap but I had to work hard to get them :roll: :D
My better half agrees with the old saying of catching more flies with honey than with vinegar, so I always get the job of sweet-talking workmen. I know - what happened to women's lib :shock: but it seems to work. Anyway, what man can resist a bit of good old-fashioned flattery and ego-boosting? :wink:
Mole
KG Regular

Hi
I,m not being critical, but, have a think about the pros and cons. Do you need 'raised' beds or just fixed position beds/paths - timber/raisedness is not a prerequisite for working on a bed system (or no-dig).

Useful in small gardens/ allotments, but if you have a lot of ground it's a lot of expense/time - I know I've been through all the methods in my time so far.

Do you really need timber edging or are you just following fashion rather than a genuine necessity? Why do you think that's what you need to do? If the soil is clay/damp, maybe useful once it's got good structure/enough organic matter, but if sandy/hungry, raising and edging may not be useful at all.
romney
KG Regular

Mole wrote:Hi
I,m not being critical, but, have a think about the pros and cons. Do you need 'raised' beds or just fixed position beds/paths - timber/raisedness is not a prerequisite for working on a bed system (or no-dig).

Useful in small gardens/ allotments, but if you have a lot of ground it's a lot of expense/time - I know I've been through all the methods in my time so far.

Do you really need timber edging or are you just following fashion rather than a genuine necessity? Why do you think that's what you need to do? If the soil is clay/damp, maybe useful once it's got good structure/enough organic matter, but if sandy/hungry, raising and edging may not be useful at all.
Good Point Mole. Ground is heavy clay so i envisaged that certain crops would do better "raised". For polytunnel I thought it would just help me "organise" things better :?
Mole
KG Regular

Hi Romney

Beds and paths certainly help with organisation - I would do the same up to a certain scale.

If you have heavy clay, and it is not 'in condition' yet, that will be your priority. The 'Rolls Royce' in terms of soil prep would be to double dig and incorporate organic matter. You might get away with ploughing/turning over with spade now and rotavating organic matter in later on if the timing is right (soil moisture content critical). If you're inclined you could go for a thick mulch and no-dig from the start but that can be limiting as to what you can grow intially. Whatever, I would recommend greenwaste compost for clay - can be delivered by the tonne or in bags - palleted. (strawy manure is not always that helpful in clay unless rotted to friable consistency). Hope this is helpful - I might be 'teaching my grandmother'...

Cheers

Mole
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic