Tigerella tomatoes - worth growing?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Kerrij
KG Regular

Well - along with my xmas present of a KG subscription was a packet of Tigerella tom seeds on this month's KG. I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere they are not very tasty (the toms - not the seeds), anyone any experience?

I'm also trying a new (to me) variety this year of "Red Brandy Wine" plus the usual swap with whatever my neighbour has.
Tigger
KG Regular

No, no, no. Both Tigerella and Red Brandy Wine are worthy of growing for taste and number.

I grew them last year and will do so again this year.
Allan
KG Regular

Taste in tomatoes is strongly a personal judgement. I did not find Tigerella at all outstanding on taste.
There was a time when one of the supermarkets promoted Tigerella as the great tomato discovery only to find as I did that the customer does not like novelty such as Tigerella's stripes. They will ask about innovations then shrink back to the conventional so I only grew them once.
If I were to grow a tomato purely on flavour, in the larger fruits it would have to be Black Krim.
Mole
KG Regular

Tigerella are prolific, sufficiently easy/reliable and early and have a pretty good taste compared with something like 'Alicante' or 'Shirley'.

We grow about 30 plants each year to contribute to the veg boxes. It's the only 'normal' size tomato I have bothered with for two years, Gardeners Delight and various cherry types (yello and red) sell best for us.

Mole
jane E
KG Regular

I grew Tigerella a couple of years ago and they produced well and the taste was very acceptable. I wouldn't despise the free seed. They'll do well for you although they might not have been your first choice. Set them; grow a few, swap a few and you won't regret it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic