rayburn help please

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

maree t
KG Regular

hi, we have a rayburn royal which is the smaller type.
we have managed to get it alight and smoke tight! but are finding that once lit it heats up slowly then roars and we cant keep it ticking over . we have tried all sorts of wood and a little coal but it burns out so quick. we would love any advice, should we be using coke?
any help much appreciated as we want to move it into the new house(when we have built it) but are wondering how sensible it will be.
the stove will be the only heating in the kitchen diner area so we need to get to grips.
we dont want to install gas or oil and are growing and harvesting our own wood so need to use this.
thanks
maree
PAULW
KG Regular

MAREE
It is quite a while since I have used a rayburn but never had a great problem with it, have you tried using FURMACITE this is made for enclosed burners like the rayburn, I found that in the morning open the air vent up and riddle until the embers glowed add more fuel and log check half hour later if the fire was looking healthy close the vent and you should be alright for a good number of hours, Coke can be probmatical it forms a big clinker in the bottom of the fire and starve the fire of air unless removed every day, wood to used a rayburn will burn anything but oak and ash is the best.
peter
KG Regular

Many year since I had this type of stove, but....

It sounds as though too much air is getting in or the chimmney is drawing too well.

Either check all the air inlets, orget it serviced by a Rayburn engineer (or dealer) and have the flue checked also.

Bonus point, he/she can advise on the future move. :D

Don't for gods sake do what I once did.

Stoke it full of cheap coal then shut its air intake down a bit too soon.
I got to the end of the corridor and the whole top plate, hinged covers and all lifted two foot in the air and fell straight back down, leaving the kitchen full of smoke and dust, wuth a billowing cloud heading up the corridor to meet me.

Powerful stuff coal gas. :oops:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
John
KG Regular

Hello Maree
Like Paul, I lived with one of these beasts many, many years ago now. I found Phurnacite the easiest fuel to use - no clinker and easy to control. It is a sort of coke compressed into nuggets, about the size of an egg, which burns away to a fine ash. Coke is a real problem as the clinker that forms in the fire bed soon jams up the riddle mechanism. Also if the fire is low (slumbering, I think is the term) it wouldn't recover very well and often went out altogether. Another fuel that was very useful was Welsh Dry Steam coal. I don't know if this is still available though. It was a smokeless fuel almost as good as anthracite. Anthracite was also an excellent fuel but made the stove too hot. Can't say anything about wood as I never tried it.

I think though that you MUST get some professional advice and have the the whole thing checked over. There is a serious danger of carbon monoxide gas poisoning with these things if they are not set up properly. I'm sure you are aware just how dangerous this gas can be.

John

PS Great things though, always kept the kitchen beautifully warm.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic