A good greenhouse heater.

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Iain
KG Regular

In the last post Herby refers to the fan on -I take it- his g/h heater. I'm about to buy one and I was wondering if anybody has any advice regarding what's good and what should be avoided. What are the must-have features? I note, by the way, that the firm "Parasene" are in administration.

Iain.
John
KG Regular

Hello Iain
I'm not surprised that Parasene have gone broke. I've a couple of their small paraffin frame heaters and they are very poor quality. They are badly designed if not downright dangerous. They are made of mild steel that rusts rapidly at the slightest defect in the poor paint protection. One to avoid. The only good thing about them is that I got them half price in a sale but even so they're not even worth it.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good afternoon Iain, you are right about the fan, i can just put the fan on with my greenhouse heater, without the heat being on, this helps to prevent moulds like botrytis setting in.
Getting on to your heater it depends on a few things really, have you got electric in your greenhouse, how big is the greenhouse, how warm do you need to keep it, and how much do you wan to spend. :?:
Sorry about this, i seem to have asked more questions than you did. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Allan
KG Regular

See first,the posting in November
"New greenhouse - what heater"

No doubt in my mind that the Findlay Irvine range, circular tube, were the best, sadly no more.
It pays long-term to have an external rod thermostat which is much more accurate. Before you rush to buy please consider whether you want to heat the whole greenhouse or whether it would be more economical to heat only the bench, even part, by means of a heating mat as this could drastically cut running costs. You can always add an extra heater just to keep the frost out. Another consideration is whether you already have electricity to your greenhouse as a professionally installed cable could be expensive but now necessary under the new rules.
I note the demise of Parasene with mixed feelings as they have been the only manufacturers of the rectangular style propogator. I purchased one and have been cursing it ever since forbad design, but that's another topic. I shall try my utmost to repair my Humex propogator.
PAULW
KG Regular

Have you looked on KAYS web site there is a variety of heater and even if nothing suits you it might give you some ideas.
Iain
KG Regular

Thanks,folks.I'm setting up to grow in the season coming. I'll be growin veg. for our own use in my new tunnel (21x42).I need a greenhouse to support it by effecting germination AND keeping plants comfy from Feb/Mar/April till May when they'll go into tunnel. Thought an 8x6 with lots of shelving would be big enough. I think I need a heater that's thermostatically-controlled, with a dial showing temps so that it can be set reasonably accurately. Fan-only feature would be highly desirable.Thinking of the 2kw Honeywell "Turbo" £58 on p.86 of Kay's current catalogue. But I don't mind paying for the right thing. Is there a particular one you'd recommend from experience?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Iain, not sure if the Honeywell Turbo has a fan-only feature, you would have to contact Kays to find out, but the next model up does.
Most of the Honeywell models come with a three year warraty, so they must be pretty good.
The stainlees steel ones like hotbox are far better, but at well over twice the price i would not have thought a small geenhouse would warrant it.
I would definitely also think about buying a large electric propagator, as this will allow you to germinate your seed at a higher temperature, while your greenhouse can be slightly cooler, thus saving a lot on heating costs, and also growing a lot stronger plants in the cooler conditions.
A lot of people make the mistake of trying to force plants on with to much heat when light levels are low and end up with leggy soft plants.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Iain
KG Regular

Thanks Herby. I'll get a Honeywell catalogue. I reckon your point re. forcing/low light levels is an important one. I guess there's no alternative than to learn by trial and error in one's own, local, conditions.In fact, I have a big Autogrow P-something propagator but it's 20 years since I last used it- looked it out the other day, and will try it out when conditions allow me to clean the swallow guano from it! The modern equivalent is a sizzling £177 from Kay's I see. I've also got a low mileage soil warming cable of similar vintage!
Thanks, guys- that's very helpful. I look forward to being, some day, a giver rather than just a taker on here! :)
Iain.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic