green tomato substitute?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Granny
KG Regular

We recently found a delicious chicken recipe which included coriander, cumin, coconut milk and green tomatoes. We used some of our last tomatoes for this and would like to have it again before this time next year. Any ideas what could be substituted for green tomatoes? We thought of trying courgettes and lime juice. We did wonder, as the recipe was called 'Chicken Zanzibar' whether the green tomatoes were already a substitute for something more tropical.
John
KG Regular

Red tomatoes?

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Tigger
KG Regular

Green mangoes perhaps, from your nearest Asian supplier?
Colin_M
KG Regular

It's a shame you're so far from Bristol, as I just picked a whole lot of green tomatoes from my greenhouse, which you'd have been welcome to have!

Colin
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. We'd thought about red tomatoes with perhaps lemon or lime juice. Hadn't thought of green mangoes - might be worth a try. And Bristol is quite a way away! I could send you the recipe instead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic