Foote Gearbox - are there any repairers within the UK ?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

phade
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

I have an Atco 8/32E with a Foote 2010-43 gearbox with a gear selection problem and it also leaks (what appears to be very light oil) from it's input shaft.

I cannot currenly select 1st or 2nd gears at all. 3rd and reverse gears are very hard to select, but they will eventually go into gear.

I have adjusted the foot-brake rod in an attempt to release the PTO clutch even further, but unfortunately that didn't seem to make any difference.

Are there any Foote gearbox repairers within the UK ? Or if not could I get an equivalent gearbox that will fit the Atco 8/32E.

Many Thanks,

phade
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Phade,

I don't know where to advise to go for info on Foote gearboxes...other than finding a long established mowing machinery agent who might know the answer or have the latest info on who is who with things Foote.

Sometimes older type ride on mower gearboxes can struggle with gear selection if the belt is still trying to put drive into the gearbox when you have the clutch pressed to select a gear or if any belt guides are not set correctly to allow the belt to be free around the input pulley with clutch pressed.
Mostly older ride on types have to have the desired gear selected whilst stationary rather then on the move gear shifting.

Out of interest..in the parts book the 1981 8/32e does not give gearbox type... a parts break down with part numbers starting with "P" similar to the tractor part numbers is shown for this 1981 gearbox.

The 1982 lists Peerless model 757..this mower model does not have the rear axle brake band.

By 1983 it would seem that the rear axle brake band had returned and the gearbox is listed as Peerless EP-6274.
For 1982 and 1983 it no longer gives a gerabox exploded diagram but gives instruction to contact Peerless dealer.

So I wonder. :? ...did they change gearbox types/suppliers.?? or did Foote small gearboxes become Peerless...Tecumseh.????

Sorry not definitive answer...

Perhaps now a minor detail..especially if the gearbox is now poorly..but did you get the cutter belt size worked out..???

All the best,
Clive.
phade
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know I have now found out what has caused the gear selection problem on my Foote gearbox (they are now owned by Dana). It was the ball bearings for the gear selector forks (they were missing or disintegrated !).

I hope to get some new 3/16" or 4mm to 5mm ball bearings from a local mower shop (they keep odd bits like that) and will let you know how I get on.

I also had to gently grind the burrs off the selector forks as well.

Thankyou everyone for you help :)
phade
KG Regular

Just another quick update, I couldn't get those bearings from my local mower shop, buy I did manage to order some 5mm and 4 1/2mm ball bearings for my Foote gearbox.
phade
KG Regular

Hi eveyrone,

Just another quick update on my gearbox, I fitted the 4 1/2mm ball bearings on the end of the gear selector springs and it now works like a nearly new gearbox.

Thankyou eveyrone for you interest and help :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic