Green peppers

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

james419
KG Regular

I have a glut of green peppers and wonder how I can preserve them other than freezing any help would be wonderful!!
James419's OH
Primrose
KG Regular

I find green peppers rather tart and I do know a lot of other people who feel similarly. Could you let them ripen, then they can be sliced up and cooked with tomatoes, onion & garlic to make a splendid pepperonata sauce which can be used fresh with pasta, or mixed into a minced beef & chilli mixture for chilli con carne. This mixtures also freeze splendidly.
Tigger
KG Regular

You can use some of them as the contrating colour in Chantal's Chilli Jelly. There's also a number of Pepper relish/chutney recipes about.
Wellie
KG Regular

James,
I tend to agree with Primrose. If you CAN let them ripen naturally in the remainder of the summer to a redder hue, so much the better.
Forgive me, do you have the plants inside or outside?

I too have a lot of peppers this year, and mine are in a greenhouse, ripening slower now that the sun is less strong, but still ripening all the same.

I never can find sufficient interesting recipes to deal with a glut of Peppers, so I normally halve them from top to toe, leaving the stalk 'in-tact', de-seed them, and just freeze them raw. They keep superbly well if you put them in a freezer bag and suck the air out with a kiddies drinking straw, then seal the bag with a plastic tie.

That way, you've got no end of time to find a scrummy recipe or two for some of them before they go off in the fridge !

To be honest, I'm in the process of researching my cookbooks and back issues of Good Food Magazine for that very purpose, and I'll gladly submit any I find of alledged interest if you like.....
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Lottie Lou
KG Regular

I timely post for me - I also have a glut of green peppers in the conservatory - presumably if I leave them on the plant they will rippen. I have not grown them before
Just as I am getting used to today, along comes tommorrow!
Primrose
KG Regular

Bit of a late response Lottie, but yes, if you leave your green peppers in a sunny spot indoors they should gradually ripen and turn red.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic