Mirabelles galore - what can I do with them please?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sprout
KG Regular

The tree on our plot shed its load yesterday, so we furtled its crop this morning. All in great condition - but what can I do with them? We don't like jam - have a dehydrator and plenty of jars. Any advice please? :roll:

Belinda
KG Regular

Given that a Mirabelle is related to plums, damsons and sloes etc. I guess anything that you might do with those - pies, wine, gin? and possibly dry them like prunes I guess.
Sue
KG Regular

Hi Sprout. We have just been overwhelmed by Victoria plums after helping our neighbour harvest her tree this weekend. I split a load in halves, removed the stones and dried them in our dehydrator. They have made small but very nice tasting prunes.

Just don't stand down wind of our house any time soon :oops:

Sue
Tigger
KG Regular

Send them to us please - we love them.

If not, why don't you cook some and use them as a base for pies/crumbles/puddings in the winter. Freeze whole or puree for smoothies, sauces, to serve with ice cream or sponge. Make plum sauce for asian cooking. Bottle them with sugar and/or with spices to get a sweet or savoury ingredient. Make bottled jelly or fruit cheese if you don't like jam (I'll send you the recipes if you need them).

Send them to us - oops - repeating myself.
sprout
KG Regular

LOL@tigger :wink:

Thanks so much for those suggestions - I've bottled them for later use in pies/crumbles/puds/sauces as suggested, except for a few which I tried drying but to be honest after three days when they still hadn't dried out gave up and shoved them in a jar with vodka and sugar - something good will come out of it :roll:

So proud of all that bottling that I posted a pic:
viewtopic.php?t=2193

Thanks again fruit-lovers :D
Tigger
KG Regular

Such envy........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic