Salads in a North facing conservatory

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mr Potato Head

Sounds a bit like a botched design job, but actually it's a half-timber / half-glass entrance porchway - about the size of a small shed. It's pretty light, but is on the north side of the house.

I've used it successfully for propagating some seedlings (squashes & honeysuckle & rosemary) but am thinking about using the space to grow some salad - of the cut & come again variety.

Would ideally like to grow rocket & gem-type lettuces any suggestions & tips?

Leigh :)
John
KG Regular

Hello Mr Potato Head
Have you thought of trying some of the oriental greens? Mizuna is a great winter salad crop. It germinates easily and grows fast during the cooler parts of the year. Its crisp, dandelion-like leaves have a slight mustard flavour and it goes well in salads, preferable to the rather bland lettuce you get at this time of wear. You can usually get 3 -4 cuts from it. Mibuna is similar but has simple narrow simple leaves.

John
Mr Potato Head

Good idea, but i've not always been a big fan :? - I find it a bit on the papery side. Having said that, i've never grown any myself, so perhaps the real thing will taste better!

What's the best time to sow?
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Mr Potato Head

If the light is sufficient, how about mixed lettuce leaves, Pak Choi or spinach? We have grown all of these very successfully in growbags in a greenhouse (admittedley not north facing though).
Mr Potato Head

Sounds like a good idea... the light is reasonable, so it can't hurt to experiment a little I suppose!
John
KG Regular

Hello again Mr P H
I'd try some Mizuna now. The seed is cheap and germination is very good and only takes a few days usually. You will only need to sow a few seeds. The plants, even young ones, don't seem to mind the cold . I grow it in an unheated frame with individual plants spaced about 9-12in apart. Summer sowings will run to seed quickly but winter ones give good cropping.

John
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic