Borlotti Beans

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JoJoB
KG Regular

We have a great crop of borlotti beans which I have been leaving on the plant to dry. The problem is that they are on the same canes as Runner and French beans which are being struck down by a curious illness. As we are going on hols for a fortnight on Friday would it be better to pick the borlottis now rather than risk coming back to a ruined crop. If I do this should I hang up the whole plant to continue drying or can I (which I would prefer to do) pod and freeze them now?
Angi
KG Regular

Don't know about picking them now as its hard to say without knowing how dried they are, but you shouldn't need to freeze them as they keep perfectly well once ripe and dried.
sprout
KG Regular

You could do either - I love both 'fresh' borlotti beans, which I freeze, and hardly need any cooking, and dried. To save time before your hols you could just leave the pods spread out and shell them when you get back, out of the way of the meeces :roll:
JoJoB
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice. Have picked and podded 12oz of fresh beans and 4oz of much drier ones. Some of the fresh ones are quite green. Will they be ok ? sorry am a complete novice with borlottis (or botties as my 6 year old likes to call them) They look so beautiful though, only hope they taste as great as they look. 8)
Sue
KG Regular

You need to freeze the greener ones JoJoB as Sprout advises, otherwise they will start to go wrinkly. The pods need to be dry and crackly before the beans inside can be stored in a jar. I think the green ones are even better than dried and pick quite a few on purpose at this stage. They go well in summer vegtable soups or served in fresh tomato sauce. They take no longer to cook than fresh peas and have a lovely creamy texture.

Sue :D
sprout
KG Regular

Sue wrote:I think the green ones are even better than dried and pick quite a few on purpose at this stage:D

I'm with you there Sue - and you can't buy the 'fresh' borlotti in the shops, it's a grower's delicacy 8)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic