Courgettes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

Chatting with Seedling on the plot today we recalled the day we met, almost a year ago. It was pouring with rain and she was out inspecting her new plot, complete with a tape measure, notebook and rather soggy, long suffering, husband(I thought she was crazy); I was picking courgettes in the rain (she thought I was crazy) and having got chatting, I gave her a load of courgettes. She thought I was such a nice, generous person. Now she has a courgette glut herself I've been rumbled; being a nice person had NOTHING to do with it! :lol:

What's most original thing anyone's done to get rid of all those courgettes?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Chez
KG Regular

Hmmm... not sure it's original, but I get rid of our excess courgettes by making bread with them. Courgette Crown Bread is not only delicious, but uses 450g for each batch, is freezable (is that a word?) and impresses guests when brought out warm from the oven to accompany soups (homemade, of course) in Winter.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Compo
KG Regular

You keep us all on tenterhooks now Chez............What's the recipe??

Cheers

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
seedling
KG Regular

Chantal must have seen the "sucker" sign on my head when I arrived at the plot that day. I`ve just given a load of corgettes to a resturant along the road from my house. In return they gave me some greengages to make jam with. Fair trade me thinks :D
Seedling
Zena
KG Regular

I swapped some courgettes for some fresh bay leaves.
not only do I have loads of courgettes but they're all huge, too. I swear one day there were none and the next they were the size of marrows.
please can you post the recipe for courgette bread, Chez? It sounds just the thing for getting rid of a few!
Geoff
KG Regular

Bartering is wonderful.
We know a farmer who has a daughter who is a butcher and we regularly supply both with Sweet Peaes and surplus veg. We have had free meat and a trailer load of fym in return.
The local veg stall has also had Sweet Peas that got swapped for Apricots and a friend who had a few batches of salad lent us her husband with chain saw for a couple of hours.
Chantal
KG Regular

I have a recipe for Courgette Chocolate Cake somehwere; I'll post it on recipes.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
arthur e
KG Regular

Just about keeping up with the glut by picking them when they are only as thick as a finger.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Compo & Zena - yes, quite remiss of me not to post the recipe at the time. Have done so now though. See 'Recipes'. I freeze loads of it at this time of year, to last over the winter. Enjoy!
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
jopsy
KG Regular

How do they get to be so BIG??
I arrived home with 5 the other day DH was loling at me dragging them up the road
All the neighbours have asked for new recipes!!
I don't even cook :oops:
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Zena
KG Regular

Jopsy! welcome back!

Old H has been pining for you....
jopsy
KG Regular

Hi Zena
Thank you
Glad to be back!
Missed you all!! :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now all i need is for Glory B to come back and i will be a very happy man. :wink: :D
Anyway Jopsy where have you been, a world cruise maybe, or something even more exciting. :wink:
It is nice to see you back though. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
jopsy
KG Regular

Well, I have been visiting Florence-the place (not the person from the Magic Roundabout)I have also been with Lily FT because it's the school hols. I haven't got a decent PC so I'm working on DH to buy me a newer one (laptop hopefully)This weekend I've been seeing a cyber friend from mythical Ibstock in Leicester. I'm just sooo busy! As for the garden,OH are you free to pop down to Devon and help out? :wink:
My Parents and Auntie are arriving on Wednesday and my house looks like 'TOYSrUS' So no rest for the wicked!
I will try to stay on more regularly though as I love keeping up to date with your lives/gardens as mine is dull!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic