Attn Amo: Elderberry and Apple Jelly

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chez
KG Regular

Hello Amo - here's the recipe you were after. Sorry about taking so long to get it down. I used ordinary apples (but growing wild) and it worked out just fine.

Elderberry and Apple Jelly

2lb (1kg) elderberries
1 1/4 pt (1L) water
1lb (450g) crab or sour apples
Juice of one lemon
Sugar - 1lb to every pint of juice, after straining)
Small knob of butter to reduce foaming whilst cooking

Wash elderberries and remove stalks. A fork is helpful in doing this. Wash the apples and prepare them by cutting up and removing any blemishes. Don't peel or core them. Put fruit and lemon juice into a pan with the water and simmer gently for about an hour, until soft. Strain overnight through a jelly bag. Measure the strained juice and add the sugar.
Stir until thoroughly dissolved and then bring to a full rolling boil for about 10 mins. Test for setting by placing a teaspoon of the juice on a cold plate, cool a little then push with finger. If it wrinkles strongly, then it is ready. Stir in the knob of butter to reduce foaming and skim if necessary. Pour into sterilised jars. Sorry, bet you knew the last few sentences - just copying the recipe verbatim.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
amo
KG Regular

Thank you so much.
I will make some this year. by the way it is normal sugar or jam sugar?

Thanks again
amo
Chez
KG Regular

Just normal granulated sugar, amo. The apples and lemon juice supply plenty of pectin and it sets very well.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
amo
KG Regular

Thank you
I am going on holidays for 1 weeks but when I come back the berries should be just right
Thanks again

amo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic