Beans for the girls

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

I was discussing this topic with Seedling yesterday and thought it might be worth sharing.

I visited my doctor about 18 months ago complaining of horrendous hot flushes (it's my age boys) and whilst I was there a pharmacist was sitting in on the consultation. The pharmacist said that she'd read somewhere that beans (pulses rather than green) were very good at helping with hot flushes. I agreed to try this rather than take any medication and it works! :D I chuffed down a plateful of beans for a few days and the flushes disappeared. Each time they come back, I go back on the beans and feel much better for it; I think she said it was vitamin F that does all the good.

I agree there can be some explosive side effects :oops: until you get used to the beans but it's better than the hot flushes and at least beans are generally good for you as opposed to stuffing chemicals down your neck.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Thanks for that useful and interesting advice.
Is it your Heinz Baked Beans you've been scoffing or your own?
(Why are they called 'baked' when they're cooked in the tin?) :?
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm not that keen on baked beans (I presume you bake them before they're canned :?: :lol: ) and apart from some Borlotti beans I grew last year I've been eating cans of butter, haricot, kidney beans etc, plus chick peas occasionally. Apart from bean casserole I usually eat them cold with a sprinkle of good extra virgin olive oil a little chopped red onion and some black pepper. I was eating them as I side dish every night for a couple of weeks. I'm growing Fagiolo di Sorana this year so I'll be eating them in a few weeks and have plans for more Borlotti and Butter beans for next year. 8)
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
seedling
KG Regular

Hi girls
Thought you might like to know why beans help with menopausal symptoms. Well they contain phytoestrogens which mimicfemale hormones. Therefore when these hormones reduce in quantity during the peri-menopause and menopause these foods give you the same effect as your own bodies hormones would be doing. Clever isnt it? Much more natural than HRT, under your own control and they help to prevent osteoporosis too - bonus!
Other foods apart from beans(pulses) contain phytoestrogens so if you`re not that keen on beans you can still help yourself by eating foods on a daily basis from the following list:

tofu
rye bread
french beans
lentils
soya products - soya milk, soya beans etc
linseed oil
green and yellow vegetables
ginseng
fennel
brocoli
rhubarb
celery

Some other food types have hormone balancing properties:
sprouted seeds and grains
yam
papaya
bananas
figs
garlic
raw, unpasturised honey

As an aromatherapist I would also recommend sage tea,
geranium essential oil, clary sage essential oil and rose essential oil. If anyone wants any advice on using essential oils then please pm me.

Supplement wise agnus castus is good for balancing hormones and black cohosh is helpful in treating menopausal symptoms e.g hot flushes

Hope this helps. For the guys out there thinking "this has nothing to do with me" - well pass on the information and help the women around you. You`ll benefit too in the long run.
Seedling
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Thanks Seedling. I'll copy the list onto my computer.
Carole B.
KG Regular

I was told Hemp seeds were also good...has anybody any clue as to what you do with them?
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Eat 'em. :twisted:
Franksmum
KG Regular

Just eat them out the bag, they're lovely! Or you can throw them over salads, stick them in bread or chuck them over your breakfast cereal maybe???
jopsy
KG Regular

oooh i'll tell my friend about that as she reckons she's going through the change!
:D
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic