Villiers Ignition

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Cider Boys
KG Regular

Perhaps Clive may be able to enlighten me.

I was asked to look at a small villiers 4 stroke engine, probably a mk12 HS. Although the plug tested ok the magneto was producing a very weak spark (only detectable with a neon). Expecting to clean and reset the contact breakers I was surprised to find no contact breakers or condenser but the wire from the primary magneto coil was connected to a small two terminal devise on the outside of the housing. What can it be?

It is obviosly a modification and may have stopped functioning. With a meter on resistance it tests like a diode and it does not respond to the presence of a magnet. I suppose it may be a reed switch, any thoughts.

Thanks

Barney
delaney
KG Regular

try this site www.winget.co.uk/downloads.htm it may be of use it has some villiers parts lists and manuals good luck :idea:
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
As noted by "delaney" there is some info on late model electronic ignition Villiers on the Winget site...it shows a standard looking coil but it has a transistor electronic unit mounted to the stator plate.

These type of transistor ignition units were also sold as an add on for other makes of engines....used in conjunction with the original coil. I am aware of them being sold under the brands "Atom", "Meco", and "Nova"..by Central Spares...a parts factor company for the garden machinery trade.

They can also be found on www.midlandpower.co.uk under "replacement parts" then search for "all manufacturers" "Ignition parts" "ignition unit".
Midland are another trade supplier but will, I'm told, happily advise who sells their wares local to you.

I have had no dealings with these transistor units so can't offer any ideas. The health of the coil though should be able to be tested by most long established mower repairers.

All the best,
Clive.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Thank you very much Clive and Delaney for the information and links.

Barney
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic