Pentland Javellin Spuds

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi folks

Is it me or are these spuds tasteless?

Grew them for the first time this year and i'm not impressed at all.Is it something i've done or just the variety?
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Lizzie, firstly what are you doing thinking about potatoes this early in the morning. :D
I've grown Penland Javellin before, and although not the best tasting early, they certainly weren't tasteless. I'm certain you can't have done anything wrong, :wink: so i'm wondering if the seed potatoes have got mixed up at the supplier's, it happened to me with my Kestel. :evil:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Thees no fool like an old fool.
Carole B.
KG Regular

I've grown them for the first time this year too,I look forward to digging the first spuds but Javelin was so poor,the quantity was lousy and the taste mediocre.I left the other row and moved on to my Charlottes which are much better.I will dig them up but it just reminds me what a waste of space they've been!
Belinda
KG Regular

My Dad (in the East Midlands) has gown these for as long as I can remember and has always had a good tasty crop. We tried them in 2004 (in East Surrey) and were so disappointed with both the yield and the flavour that we have not bothered with them since.

Maybe they just don't like your soil conditions?
Weed
KG Regular

I have grown PJ for the first time this year...hate to say this but they taste fine ...perhaps it is the Midlands soil after all
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Compo
KG Regular

I have a row, they are waxy, tasty and take a while to cook, but they are ok, i like em sauteed
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
lizzie
KG Regular

I'm on clay so maybe it's the soil. Won't be growing them again though. Not impressed.

As for me posting about spuds at that time of the morning Herby. I couldn't sleep for thinking about you. Same as tonight Tiger :twisted:

Plus, i'm off on my jollies in the morning so I'm going to miss out on my daily dose of Old Herbaceous :shock:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic