Anyone growing Maestro carrots ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

Just wondered if anyone is growing Maestro carrots ? Has having the smell bred out affected the flavour ?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Happymouse,
Not knowing anything about Maestro I went to my mate Google. The website below simply gives the varieties of Carrot that are more resistant to C.Rootfly.
I didn't learn much about Maestro so perhaps you could tell us more.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/carrot.asp
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

Quote from RHS, it is good advice generally, especially avoiding thinning if possible:-
I can't understand why they call Enviromesh a fleece.
Also I would rather sow after mid-June.

"Sow sparsely to avoid thinning the seedlings. Female carrot flies are attracted by the smell released when surplus plants are removed.

Late sown carrots (after mid-May) avoid the first generation of this pest; similarly carrots harvested before late August avoid the second generation.

Protect vulnerable crops by surrounding them with 60cm (2ft) high barriers made of clear polythene to exclude the low-flying female flies or cover the plants with a horticultural fleece, such as Enviromesh. It is essential to practice crop rotation with these methods, otherwise adult carrot flies may emerge within the protected crop from overwintered pupae in the soil.

Choose carrot cultivars that are less susceptible to carrot fly, such as 'Fly Away', 'Maestro', 'Resistafly' and 'Sytan'."

Also from City of Worcester allotments, Reg Moule says:-
My favourite root fly resistant
carrot is Maestro (Suttons Dobies)
as I find that it has a much better
flavour than most other resistant
types. Although, you can grow any
variety under fleece or
Environmesh from sowing to harvest
and exclude carrot fly totally.
Happymouse
KG Regular

Thanks Allan. It sounds like Maestro might be worth trying from your kind research. I always wonder how farmers manage to produce perfect carrots. There must be a secret
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic